Wormwood Box

Ron Roase

I had this old piece of walnut kicking around on my shop floor for a couple of months. Was going to just toss it out.....But then I have not turned anthing for a long time,so I went ahead and turned it, I found that it was full of worm holes. Probably should have tossed it out. Or does the worm holes give it Character?:dunno:

Attachments

• Worm wood box.jpg
    Worm wood box.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 113
I had this old piece of walnut kicking around on my shop floor for a couple of months. Was going to just toss it out.....But then I have not turned anthing for a long time,so I went ahead and turned it, I found that it was full of worm holes. Probably should have tossed it out. Or does the worm holes give it Character?:dunno:
:wave:Hi Ron; I had a closeup look at those wormholes and am left wondering what danger lies in them.:huh:

From your avatar it appears you have 4 canine members in your family. I am very much afraid for them as well. But never fear, what is Family for?

I will take that box off your hands. That will take you and your canine friends out of harm's way! Or I will trade you that box for one of my pens.

Go to my profile and click on threads started by me. You may see something you might like!

Oh yeah, nice character in that box.:thumb:

Looks real nice to me, Ron. :thumb: I like the wormy wood.

Don't toss out, but you might want to toss the post over to the Lathe Project Showcase. ;) ...

You're the one with Mod Power . You can move the thread, but Ron can't. :doh: And when you move it, the forum software will automatically add a link to redirect folks from this forum to the new location. ;) :D

Back when this family ran the sawmill as more of a commercial venture then now, people would often ask for wormy wood. I have used it many times myself, spruce and pine being known for worms.

In your case it came out nice, and I think in the right application like trunks and boxes it can look really good. One of those things where it looks "aged" when it is new.

Isn't it against the woodworker law to throw out wood unless its under 1 inch in size? :rofl:

Looks real nice to me, Ron. :thumb: I like the wormy wood.

You're the one with Mod Power . You can move the thread, but Ron can't. :doh: And when you move it, the forum software will automatically add a link to redirect folks from this forum to the new location. ;) :D

I always thought the original poster could move, nebber tried it though. Oh, well, it's at least in lathe land now.

Back when this family ran the sawmill as more of a commercial venture then now, people would often ask for wormy wood. I have used it many times myself, spruce and pine being known for worms.

In your case it came out nice, and I think in the right application like trunks and boxes it can look really good. One of those things where it looks "aged" when it is new.

Isn't it against the woodworker law to throw out wood unless its under 1 inch in size? :rofl:

Careful with those one inchers....they are good pen blanks. :D

Thanks for the reply..did'nt think it was worthy of being in lathe land! Was just a small piece. Maybe I should try some other turnings just to see how they come out now. Mostley self taught. So not up to most other wood turners. But do enjoy it a lot.:rofl::thumb:

Cool piece, shame you didn't find the worm too.... I was turning a piece of oak that had worm holes... I guess I generated a little heat in the wood and the worm didn't like it... I saw something protruding from the wood that kept getting bigger... just glad I didn't hit him with the gouge and splatter all over my face shield. :D

Wormwood box

Cool piece, shame you didn't find the worm too.... I was turning a piece of oak that had worm holes... I guess I generated a little heat in the wood and the worm didn't like it... I saw something protruding from the wood that kept getting bigger... just glad I didn't hit him with the gouge and splatter all over my face shield. :D

Take off the shield and you accomplish two things,one you keep the shield clean an two you gets lottsa proteen :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Why throw it out when it's under 1"? Useful for inlays, miniatures, tiny boxe...all sorts of things. Only throw out wood when it falls apart on the lathe...some even use that but I don't like all the impregnation stuff they do to stabilise it.

The box looks good as is. Sometimes it can look good to fill teh wormholes with contrasting filler (epoxy and sawdust, brass powder etc) but personally I don't think it's needed here.

Pete

Last edited: