Best way to cut a counter top

Putting masking tape on the cut first is supposed to help keep the laminate from chipping when cutting.

That's for when you have no other choice but to cut it from the top. And the taps is to keep the saw from scratching the top more than keeping it from chipping.If you cut from the top it is best to cut it with a jig saw with down stroke teeth.:thumb:

The flip it over is easier said than done as pre made counters have lumps an such, and simple measurements are confusing. Lay out the top placement by placing the sink upside down withe the top in place. I use Blue tape to locate the top around the perimiter, then measure inand layout the hole so that you allow the proper lip. (some sinks come with a pattern) Add more tape and use a box knife and scoure a line in the laminate. then drill a hole near a corner (rememberb the corners should be round else the corners protrude beyond the lip DAMHIK) Using a good sabre saw with a finer tooth blade cut along the scored line (the scoring will help prevent chipping) support the "plug" as you get to the halfway and beyond point.

Not too difficult if you take your time and do it right, rather than fast and easy, fast and easy is for when someone else is paying for your mistakes.

I did what Bill did - with blue tape and a jig saw. I did not score a line. Edges came out fine, and will be covered with the sink, so I had some room to play with.

Where I ran into trouble was the end caps. When I finished the edges with the router I got into the top a bit :eek::(:doh: