What's your favorite tool?

Depends on what I'm doing.

For non-straight items, it's gotta be my bandsaws.

For planes, it's my Type 17 (WWII) 4½, with LN blade and Clifton chipbreaker - or my Tormek sharpener.

For breakdown cuts in large sheets of ply, it's gotta be my EZ.

But for precision cuts, it's the Shop Fox cabinet saw.

Other candidates, depending on the job at hand, are the General oscillating spindle sander, the router table, or the Leigh dovetail jig.

Hard to pin it down to just one.

Probably the two most-used tools in the shop, though, are the tablesaw and the Hitachi SCMS.

To me, there's a difference between my favorite tool and maybe the most useful, or the one I use the most.

My table saw and CMS are two tools I couldn't do without. They get used on just about every project.

But my favorite tool is my LN 102 block plane. I don't use it on every project, but when I do use it, it's a joy to use and beautiful to the eye.

Mike

Most of my tools are just that...tools. They perform a task and I don't expect 'fun' from them. However, the lathe, hands down is my favorite. It does things, allows my limited creative side to come out and is just plain therapeutic to use. I like them all and realize that, together, they also allow the creative juices to flow. But, the lathe is....well.....special.

I expect to get fun from every one of my tools, but hey, it doesn't take much for me to be having fun making sawdust. Well, maybe I don't expect or get fun from my sanders except when I'm finished using one.

So, my favorite tool is always the one I'm using at the moment whether tailed or tailless.