Go Atlantis

Pete Simmons

A few minutes ago out my back door!

Lets wish them a safe trip and return in 12 days!

I am about 30 miles away. Today the weather was calm so the sound travels well. It shakes my windows for a few minutes.

Attachments

• Atlantis1.jpg
    Atlantis1.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 30
Sadly, I didn't see that launch even mentioned in the news today. Oh, but Paris Hilton dominated everything. Gotta get them priorities right.
I'm with you, wish them well. I get kinda gut sick every time one goes up.

Sadly, I didn't see that launch even mentioned in the news today. Oh, but Paris Hilton dominated everything. Gotta get them priorities right.
I'm with you, wish them well. I get kinda gut sick every time one goes up.

But Paris went back to jail screaming "mommie" so all is not lost. I too would rather see a NASA Lift off than a Celebrity Send off... but ....:thumb:

A few minutes ago out my back door!

Lets wish them a safe trip and return in 12 days!

I am about 30 miles away. Today the weather was calm so the sound travels well. It shakes my windows for a few minutes.

I have only seen one in person but have watched several including the one tonight on the internet. I was thinking how much the technology has changed since the shuttle mission started and today. The video on the internet tonight was better than I ever saw on TV back then. And the shuttle with its problems is still an awesome piece of equipment. And hats off to all who dare to take the ride...

Garry

My local news, out of Sacramento, carried the launch. I watched it on the news at the same time as I watched it on NASA TV onliine. :D :D :D

I got tears in my eyes, again, when they finally got into orbit., thinking about the tragedies and about the successes as well. Can't wait for the landing..........................

Cool picture, Pete. I'd love to see a launch someday. I've heard the double sonic booms from a few shuttle landings at Edwards AFB...it's about 50 miles north of me on the other side of the mountains.

I remember seeing the Mercury and Gemini capsules at the National Air and Space Museum in Washington DC. It amazed me how low-tech they looked. Lots of Velcro, duct tape, and electronic panels that looked like they'd been fabricated by hobbyists. My hat's off to anyone who had or has the fortitude and sense of adventure to strap themselves into one of these vehicles and ride it on the tip of a rocket.

Good luck to them. Sadly we have a generation that is so accustomed to space flight that it does not capture their imaginations. I remember getting to go to the school library to watch the one and only TV the school had for the Gemini launches. Exciting stuff.

I remember the landing of the first shuttle. I happened to be in the front office of a very busy heavy equipment yard that was always noise and shouts and time is money . . . the shuttle landing came on the TV we'd brought in just to watch. The whole office went dead silent until that bird touched Terra firma.