Overhead Tablesaw Guard and DC

Bill Arnold

Staff member
I recently completed more of my dust collection system and added the overhead system for my tablesaw that I've planned for a long time. Rather than take up space on the forum server with a bunch of photos, I added a page to my website. To see my installation, click here.

Looks good. How do you like it? The pipe going to the ceiling, will it reach a 10' ceiling? I am hopeing when I get back home after inspecting shops I am hopeing to get started on my temp shop. This one thing I need to add.

Bill great post on your site. I am very interested since i am in the same phase. I too have a dust gorilla mine is not hooked up yet due to the economy crunching the tool budget but soon it will all change.

I have a few questions to ask that have me puzzeling about this area of dust collection.

1) Do you have the ability on yours to fold it up and out of the way or is it a fixed install. I could not quiet tell from the pictures.

2) Have you settled on a permanent spot in your shop for your TS. I presume your shop is big enough for this if this is the case or did you have another rationale.

3) How does this tie in with the main duct from the TS or are they seperate meaning two blast gates to open?

I like what you have done would just like to understand more of your thoughts behind it.

Thanks for the post.:thumb:

Great looking set up you have.:thumb: Still cleaning up the drool from my key board,:D Question though, did you require to add any extra backing into the ceiling for the drop pipe and could you have gotten away with a smaller flex hose and pipe for the drop and the first stage of the hose or is there some specific reason that you went with the 4 inch hose? Did you make the adjustable lift ( the one that attaches to the collector at the saw) yourself or did you purchase it?

Looks good. How do you like it? The pipe going to the ceiling, will it reach a 10' ceiling? ...
Like it? So far, I haven't done much more than a little testing but it sucks up the fine dust from MDF just fine. Some chips get tossed to the side but I'm planning to add brushes to each side as someone suggested on another thread.

The main tube is about at its maximum for my 8.5' ceiling. The overall length of the telescoping tubes is 59", then you have to subtract a few inches for overlap. The bottom of the tee should be 19" from the surface of the saw, so that means the main pipe is 52" long. I suppose you could build a support structure with 2x4s and/or plywood to drop the mounting point 18" from your 10' ceiling.

Last edited:
... I have a few questions to ask that have me puzzeling about this area of dust collection.

1) Do you have the ability on yours to fold it up and out of the way or is it a fixed install. I could not quiet tell from the pictures.

2) Have you settled on a permanent spot in your shop for your TS. I presume your shop is big enough for this if this is the case or did you have another rationale.

3) How does this tie in with the main duct from the TS or are they seperate meaning two blast gates to open? ...

1) This was answered about halfway down my web page.

2) With all of the outfeed and side support tables I built around my tablesaw (as seen in the photos), it's hard to think of it being any more permanent than it is.

3) While it's clear from the photos that the ceiling-mounted gate controls only the dust hood, they do not show the seperate gate and control under the table for the saw itself. I plan to create another web page showing all elements of my DC system, including the under-table ducting.

:)

Last edited:
... Question though, did you require to add any extra backing into the ceiling for the drop pipe and could you have gotten away with a smaller flex hose and pipe for the drop and the first stage of the hose or is there some specific reason that you went with the 4 inch hose? Did you make the adjustable lift ( the one that attaches to the collector at the saw) yourself or did you purchase it?
A description of the support I added in the ceiling is on the webpage.

For most efficient dust collection, I've always read it's best to take the largest possible hose to a point as close as possible to the machine or device. In my case, I wanted to be able to use the hose from the ceiling for other machines as well, so that's another reason for staying with 4" hose.

The articulating lift is part of the TSGUARD kit from PSI. Here's the installation manual showing all of the parts.

Thanks Bill..ooops on the reading my bad. I did not even notice all your fixed outfeed and side tables ..sorry... I was too focused on your dust collection.:D Having re read your write up i see you can remove the whole lower section if needs be.

Given that you have fixed the position of your TS, what was your criteria for going overhead versus side mount on a swing arm as the manual indicates?

Thanks for the wake up.:thumb:

... Given that you have fixed the position of your TS, what was your criteria for going overhead versus side mount on a swing arm as the manual indicates?
Two reasons, I guess. One is that my main DC duct runs around the ceiling. Two, I didn't want the arm blocking any part of the table and the floor mount would have interfered with either my mitersaw infeed or the tablesaw extension. The manual shows the ceiling mount option as well as the floor mount.

Rob Keeble said:
Thanks for the wake up.:thumb:
I won't tell you how many times I don't see what I'm looking at! :rolleyes: I hate it when my wife and I are shopping and I say aloud that an item ought to be on this aisle and she points out that it's right in front of me!!! :eek: :huh: :dunno: