turning tool storage

Dave Black

Now that my stand is about done I was thinking that I should incorporate some kind of tool storage rack or tray or something. Any thoughts about what style I should go with. Right now I have a tray that slides back and forth on the lathe bed but its a pain. I think that I saw the design in Ernie Conover's lathe book but I can't remember for sure.

I built a roll around table with pvc tubes to hold the tools... I can move the stand to where ever I might want the tools... mostly it sits at the end of the big lathe between the two... I have a little Jet1014 and a Jet1442.
I'm going to have to cull the tools before I can put any more in there. It a lot fuller now than when the picture was taken.

The pictures aren't all that great..

Attachments

• New Lathe.JPG
    New Lathe.JPG
    61.9 KB · Views: 111
  • shop 018.JPG
    shop 018.JPG
    64.4 KB · Views: 123
Dave, I have a rack on the wall, but my go to tools (oland tools, spindle gouge, parting tool) are all on a tray like this pic from Laymar Crafts website. Keeps them close and handy.

Lots of other great ideas on that site too BTW.

Attachments

• tool holder.jpg
    tool holder.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 106
Jeff, I like that little rack. I too have a rack mounted to the wall but I always need to set my current tool down and it always wants to roll away. I might have to make something like that.
Now, if only I had a rack to set my pencils in. I can never find a pencil in my shop when I want one. :huh:

Tom

Dave, I have a rack on the wall, but my go to tools (oland tools, spindle gouge, parting tool) are all on a tray like this pic from Laymar Crafts website. Keeps them close and handy.

Lots of other great ideas on that site too BTW.

Thats the kind of tray I use but mine is much wider and I find it too get in the way too much, maybe its just too big.

Made mine out of scrap wood i had laying around and attached it to a mobile work bench

Attachments

• P1010055.jpg
    P1010055.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 97
  • P1010056.jpg
    P1010056.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 86
Jeff, I like that little rack. I too have a rack mounted to the wall but I always need to set my current tool down and it always wants to roll away. I might have to make something like that.
Now, if only I had a rack to set my pencils in. I can never find a pencil in my shop when I want one. :huh:

Tom

Tom, I have pencils all over the shop with velcro. I use the dots about 3/8" and put one on pencil and the other on wall, bandsaw, anyplace handy. Funny thing though, I almost always use the one in my shop apron.

Hi Jonathan,
If the tool becomes magnetized it is very little and I have noticed no drag. Most tools are round so there is a very small surface area contacting the tool rest; even scrapers have a small contact area. I just like the ease and convenience. I have been using the strips over a year now.
Mike

here's a idea I found, I think I will go with something like this except the blades will face up and the handles will go in PVC pipe.

Attachments

• p_lathetoolholder.jpg
    p_lathetoolholder.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 61
My turning tool storage

Hi,

I built a prototype "shelf" to store my turning tools on the lathe, but out of my way. I attached a piece of plywood flush with the top of the lathe bench and along the length. This is on the non-operator side of the bench. See photo.

I drilled some holes and reshaped them slightly using a rat tail file. See photo

Since the pointy ends are down where I cannot see them, I used yellow acrylic paint and put a code on the end of the handle where it is easily seen (example: 3/4 BG for Bowl Gouge).

The tools that you see are some of the junk left over from my father (I gave the good stuff to a relative years ago since I was not into turning), some ShopSmith turning tools and HF's best set. I will purchase better when I know what I am doing.

Enjoy,

Jim

Last edited:
I finished mine last week, I took a pic of it but I don't have it here, Its basically like the last pic I posted except that there is a box on top of the arm that has lengths of 1.5" pvc in it and the tools sit in the pipes. The pipes fit snug in the box but aren't glued in so I can swap them out for longer ones if I get longer handle tools.

here's a idea I found, I think I will go with something like this except the blades will face up and the handles will go in PVC pipe.

Problem I find with this set up... I often take the tail stock off when hollowing bowls and hollow forms... the tool holder would have to be removed too, then put back... and I think I would find it in the way.

Really neat ideas! So far, I think I have decided on a wall rack so all of them belong somewhere specific. That tray of Jeff's, really neat idea, have never needed each and every tool for each turning job so that was an eye opener. Dave's tool tray on the lathe, not for me as I put my Beall buffer on and off, so the tailstock is always moved on and off. BUT, a variation of it combined with Jeff's idea might be what I decide on. A hole drilled through the bench top with a spacer and then the tray then a washer and nut. Thus the tray can rotate under the bench when not in use and be out with three or four slots for tools available. :dunno: I think it can work! Also won't make it solid so it doesn't fill up with shavings. Thanks guys, appreciate the help on making a wise decision on my turning tool storage problem. When it gets made will try to get it posted.

Many good ideas and perspectives on what works for everyone.

In my case the sharp and pointy ends would have to go down. I happen to have an innate talent for impaling myself, let me count the scars :rofl:

Dan, my current tool rack is with them pointing down. There is no feeling like the sound of the freshly sharpened skew falling out of the handle and hitting point down on the concrete floor!:doh: At least the dog wasn't laying there at the time! :eek: That is why I like the looks of Jeff's tray. Then I can handle the sharp ends up on the rack.