Table saw?

We are all seeing the same photo aren't we? What is so scary about that saw. I used to operate one like that all the time. We used it to cut post form tops with it.

I some times wish I could see what you others think is scary about this. It has a fence for the work to rest against and the saw blade is advanced with a chain drive that looks like the motor for it is missing. They were rather nice for what they were designed for.

We are all seeing the same photo aren't we? What is so scary about that saw...It has a fence for the work to rest against and the saw blade is advanced with a chain drive that looks like the motor for it is missing...

I'm with you, Alan. Withe the saw retracted, you'd place your sheet goods, then turn the crank (or turn on the drive motor) to make the cut; raise the blade (crank) and retract the saw; and you're done. No need to come anywhere close to the blade.

I see it as a very effective way of breaking down sheet goods. The only downside I see is the amount of floor space it takes up.

Never said it was scary, but not something I've ever seen before. I saw the chain and wondered if it was chain drive. Probably would be a good way to cut up sheet goods not having to man handle them too much.

We are all seeing the same photo aren't we? What is so scary about that saw. I used to operate one like that all the time. We used it to cut post form tops with it.

I some times wish I could see what you others think is scary about this. It has a fence for the work to rest against and the saw blade is advanced with a chain drive that looks like the motor for it is missing. They were rather nice for what they were designed for.

I'm with you Alan, no need to be scared of that saw, it is a workhorse with that 3Hp motor. I used one like that cutting us 6 sheets of 3/4" plywood at one time, a stop and a clamp to hold the sheets down. slide the sheets into the stop, lower the clamp, turn on the saw motor, hit the drive switch, the saw and motor trundle across the table cutting the plywood, when it came to the end of the cut, the motor shut down and the cutting head went back to the other side of the table, it cut fast and accurately, safe too, no hands near the blade while cutting. The one pictured just looks a little older, but in the hands of a reasonable woodworker, it would be as safe as my Festool rail saw, IMHO.
Certainly not something you will see in the average guys home shop, but on an assembly line, sure why not.