Aspire Camp 2016 - Columbia, SC- UPDATE

Bill Arnold

Staff member
LOML and I drove up here Wednesday, arriving at our hotel about 4pm. After settling in, we went to Grill Marks and had some great appetizers - onion rings, fat fries and fried green tomatoes), then some fantastic burgers! She just had a Coke, but I had to try their expresso porter beer and it was great!

Thursday

The morning was filled with presentations by vendors. One was Chuck Hicks from Southeast Tool who gave a detailed PowerPoint on how router bits are produced and the difference between types of steel. The other was Kevin Stoops who described the functionality of his 20-button programmable USB controller that can be used with CNC machines.

Afternoon presentations were by Gary Campbell and Mike Mezalick on rotary axis milling using Aspire and VCarvePro. Gary went through a very detailed description of various implementations of rotary axis with lots of whys and where-fors. Gives me a lot of confidence in using some of the spare parts I have to start building a rotary axis!

A few people brought some of the projects they have made with their CNCs. I gave away all of my good stuff or I would have brought along something!

DSC_0026.jpgDSC_0028.jpgDSC_0030.jpgDSC_0034.jpg

Friday

Vectric did most of the presentations today, starting this morning with explaining enhancements coming with v8.5. They had hoped to have it released by the time of this camp but it looks like it will be ready in June. This is a maintenance update, so there will be no charge to existing licensees. James did the update presentation, then handed off to Beki for detailed explanations of several operations.

In the afternoon session, James went over a dozen 'Tips and Tricks', many of which were common, but one thing I learned was that numerical boxes will actually do calculations; i.e., if you enter "5/16", then hit "=", it will result in an entry of 0.5625. Beki went over using Design & Make graphics to their fullest, of course pointing out the advantages of Aspire over VCarve, although VCarve will do quite a nice job of setting up a project!

So far, the camp has not been a disappointment in any way. Well, except that I wish I could justify upgrading to Aspire!!! :)

Saturday

Another full day of instruction and I know my head can't hold any more! Beki from Vectric started the day with a demonstration of 3D modeling in Aspire. After seeing her demo, I'm one step closer to pulling the trigger! Michael Tyler gave a presentation on different ways to capture images for 3D modeling.

The next event was lunch - Carolina pulled pork provided by the hosts! 'Nuff sed...

James from Vectric had the afternoon with a presentation on how to use VCarve and Aspire to create tools - forms to make objects. He finished the day talking about his way of doing two-sided carving.

Overall Impression

If you are the least bit interested in CNC, sign up for the next conference!

Last edited:
I keep dreaming about going to some of these get togethers. Some day I will be able to do so.

I dreamed about Aspire for several years, saved some here and saved some there. Pocket change, birthday 10's and 20's, sold a few signs, bonus at work. It all went into the savings account. Took a few years but I finally upgraded a couple of years ago.

I love it, but V-Carve Pro is also a very powerful software package, and it didn't do anything 3D when I had it.

Any way you look at it - this is a great and fun hobby. There is a wonderful circle of people in it also.

I love all the camp pics. Jim McGrew puts together a nice posting on the camp too.

I keep dreaming about going to some of these get togethers. Some day I will be able to do so.

I dreamed about Aspire for several years, saved some here and saved some there. Pocket change, birthday 10's and 20's, sold a few signs, bonus at work. It all went into the savings account. Took a few years but I finally upgraded a couple of years ago.

I love it, but V-Carve Pro is also a very powerful software package, and it didn't do anything 3D when I had it.

Any way you look at it - this is a great and fun hobby. There is a wonderful circle of people in it also.

I love all the camp pics. Jim McGrew puts together a nice posting on the camp too.

Leo, you could probably teach some of the classes, but many very experienced Aspire users attended this camp. One can always learn something new.

One thing James and Beki pointed out many times was that VCarve was perfectly capable of creating much of what they showed. But wait ... there's more. There was always the 'gotcha' to show how much more Aspire can do!

I dunno about teaching that crew, learn from them yes.

I agree there are some things that Aspire does, but that does not minimize V-Carve. I loved V-Carve when I had it. I didn't have the 3D, but I did have CUT3D and combined them several times. I upgraded so I could edit and create the models.

I really envy those that can attend the gatherings. Some day I will be able to do so.

I am so happy that you could go. I am sure that you got a lot of excitement from it.

I dunno about teaching that crew, learn from them yes.

Demonstrating the way to made the signs a few months ago would be a start.

I agree there are some things that Aspire does, but that does not minimize V-Carve. I loved V-Carve when I had it. I didn't have the 3D, but I did have CUT3D and combined them several times. I upgraded so I could edit and create the models.

Creating 3D models of grandkids (and great grandkids) faces is something I'd like to try now that I've seen a detailed demonstration of how modeling is done.

I really envy those that can attend the gatherings. Some day I will be able to do so.

It helps that I'm retired and have some freedom to go and do things like this. One thing I overheard was a discussion about smaller, regional gatherings so be on the lookout.

I am so happy that you could go. I am sure that you got a lot of excitement from it.

Any time Beki was presenting, she had my full attention for sure!

By the way, for any of you who watch the Vectric tutorials, Beki is the female voice on many of them; not just the voice, she is doing the demo as she speaks the instructions. She and James both were amazing in coordinating their on-screen clicks with the voice instructions. I still have trouble walking and chewing gum at the same time!!!