Cleaning out the shop

Chuck Thoits

OK so I am going to go get one of my new to me lathes hopefully this weekend.
And I have decided to get all the tools I don't use out and take them down to sell. So far there is 2 shapers, two table saw, 2 band saws, one chop saw,one weed whacker, one gas drill, one floor jack, all the cutter head for the shapers,might toss the plasma cutter in but it does not take up much space. There will probably be more I just haven't tripped over it yet.
What I am thinking is that due to the shortage of space that getting rid of some of this stuff will make room for the lathe and maybe a new table saw but now after the post on the festool I might git one of those and run the little table saw in the shop.
What it all boils down to is too may toys and not enough room.

...What it all boils down to is too may toys and not enough room.

Exactly... I've re-arranged cast iron many times over the years as I've built my shop so I have enough infeed and outfeed for stuff. It's now gotten to where another 6" grinder on a pedestal would take some thinking.

As much as I love the stability and mass of my cabinet saw, that Festool looks REAL sharp and dead on accurate for sheet goods.

I had such lousy shops over the years that when I built mine, even though it was so small, it worked pretty well. I had a lot of planning that went into mine, and after 3 years, I finally made one rearrangement. I am happier with the change now, but I think that is a testament to how well the shop was planned.

I am not bashing anyone who continually changes their shop around.I am a firm believer that if something does not work,change it until it does.I am just saying, planning really well could help you do more projects then rearranging shop tools.

I had such lousy shops over the years that when I built mine, even though it was so small, it worked pretty well. I had a lot of planning that went into mine, and after 3 years, I finally made one rearrangement. I am happier with the change now, but I think that is a testament to how well the shop was planned.

I am not bashing anyone who continually changes their shop around.I am a firm believer that if something does not work,change it until it does.I am just saying, planning really well could help you do more projects then rearranging shop tools.
Planning is just what I am doing Travis. All the stuff that is going has not been used in years. So it is out with the old in with the new. Now here is where the planning comes in. What to replace things with to get the most out of my space.:thumb:

That one's easy... a Shopbot BT32 "Buddy" (38 x 56 inch footprint). Few things that take up 16 square feet would be as versatile. Catch is the $4500... there is always a catch, no?
I have looked at them but the ones I was looking at had more zeros on the end.
So the catch with that is I won't be having one of them till I hit the right 6 on Saturday night. Then I might just buy you one too.:wave: