Wren on the water photos

Jeff Horton

Just got these last night. I have been able to get out and paddle Wren a few times but never had anyone with me with a camera. I meet David last night over at Short Creek in our State park. This is my new favorite place to paddle!

We saw bald eagle (not that rare anymore), an Osprey. A couple of old eagle nests. Tons of Blue Herons and 8 (white) Egrets. They were reintroduced a few years ago so they are not too common yet. And the usual cast of fish, muskrats, kingfishers etc.

High point was David has his camera. I finally got to see my boat on the water!!

wren-shortcreek.jpg wren-shortcreek1.jpg

It's funny how it looks so different on the water! The things that bugged me on the bench look different on the water. It actually looks like I wanted in these photos. :eek:

Very cool. I assume you stayed dry? That little craft looks as though it could really move with very little motivation. Really nice work!

Well except for the funny looking guy in the hat............ :rolleyes: :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Looks great!

I did not realize the difference in deck height in front of you, compared to just behind you was so big, for whatever reason I missed that in the build photos.

Looks really nice, and I agree, should slice through the water well.

Cheers!

Well except for the funny looking guy in the hat............ :rolleyes: :rofl::rofl::rofl:

I love that hat! Yea it is goofy looking but I am old enough I don't care. It keeps the sun off my face and neck. No RedNeck sunburn for me! I just don't wear it in public. Wife doesn't like me mowing grass in it though. Neighbors might see me. :rolleyes:

Outstanding !

Man, that's a beauty! Looks great in the water. How does it paddle ? Fast ? Maneuverable? I don't remember if you have a skeg or not. And that looks like a beautiful place to paddle.

I was out last evening on the Hudson river near Coeymans, NY with our ADK Tuesday Paddlers group and we saw a bald eagle also.

Enjoy the Wren !!

Yeah, I was gonna ask who the old grey haired gut with the funny hat was, too. :D Think you might want to update your avatar one of these years. :rofl:

That IS one sweet lookin boat. A strip canoe is on my round tuit list. One of these days.

Jeff,

That is really, really cool. We build stuff for other people all the time, so it's nice to see someone build something for himself!

Only one question: it looks fast, but is it sturdy enough to repel a gator attack? :rofl:

Thanks,

Bill

Yeah, I was gonna ask who the old grey haired gut with the funny hat was, too. :D Think you might want to update your avatar one of these years. :rofl:

Hey! my avatar is just a few months old. :p

I do have a lot of gray, it just doesn't show unless the light hits it just right. Obviously it hit it perfect yesterday!

It's funny, I will lean over for something and when I do often the light will highlight my gray and people are like "I didn't know you were gray!". :D

Lucky me, mine ain't turning grey. :D It's turning loose. :( Oh, well, I don't mind except that there's still enough where I gotta get a hair cut now and then.

Man, that's a beauty! Looks great in the water. How does it paddle ? Fast ? Maneuverable? I don't remember if you have a skeg or not. And that looks like a beautiful place to paddle.

Donn, I am impressed with every aspect of the boat. Granted I don't have a lot of experience in Kayaks but I have paddled a few Rec. Boats and I like this better than anything I have paddled. Not just because it is my design either.

I wouldn't call it fast. It's pretty wide, 24" at the Gunwales. I don't find it slow either. But speed wasn't one of my design goals. But it isn't a racer. Down the road I may build a skinny one for speed.

Maneuverability is good. It could probably stand some more rocker since I did build in a drop down skeg. She tracks well and responds to lean turns very well. So far no signs of ANY weather cocking. Skeg was probably not necessary.

I have to pay attention and try not rock the boat as a paddle or I 'snake' slightly through the water. I started noticing I was doing that somewhat yesterday. Started to work on paddling without leaning the boat as much.

when do you start on the paddle/orr?

Just finished the one in the photo last week. It was one of those projects I piddled with waiting on things to dry. I will post another thread on the paddles since things are slow today.

Jeff,

Awesome boat. Really beautiful.

The only boat I've made is a little sailing tender/dingy from some plans off the internet . It's an ugly little thing, with a funny sprit based sail made out of white poly tarp :rofl:

I've only used it once, but it was a hoot to sail. Picture a 240# guy laying down in a little 8' dingy sailing it around a municipal resevoir. But it was a hoot once I figured it out.

Nothing like the fun of getting out in the water on something you made yourself!