New Cab Attached to BS Cab

Now that is a weird title. Oh well, guess you have to consider the source.

Hi Everybody,

Glenn designed this cabinet to hold my WorkSharp in a position where I can easily use the three sides where something goes on. That is 1) work the top for wide or curved blades, 2) work all flat blades up to 2” width using the pre-set angles, and 3) see in the opening where the bevel angle is shown.

Pics:
I just grabbed a few discs and put them in the slots to show how the cabinet will be used. The homemade MDF disc is the only one that really shows up; the glass discs just fade into the shadows.

1 Overall view prior to shellacing. It is the same Baltic Birch so should come out the same color.
2 Door off. The door is held on with two 1/4” rare earth magnets.
3 Closer pic
4 Shows the location of the WorkSharp. It is partially on the top of the 14” BS cabinet and partially on the new addition to the BS cabinet.
5 This is the discs in the plastic cabinet I have been using for years. Each disk is in a plastic (sort of like a sandwich bag) bag. I used the bags so a coarser grit could not get to a finer grit disk.
6 External view of the original storage cabinet.

WS Cab PreStain.jpgWS Cab Door Off.jpgWS Cab Close Up.jpgWS Cab Location.jpgWS Cab Disks in Orig Plastic Cab.jpgWS Cab Orig Storage Cabinet.jpg

I hope you enjoyed this. I certainly did. AND I certainly am going to enjoy it for years.

Enjoy,
JimB

If I even mentioned the word organize in my shop it would probably trigger a higgs bosun event opening a giant black hole that would tear the very fabric of space and time and reduce the earth to its sub atomic particles.... at least thats what I tell my self whenever I go in there...... Get some sawdust on the floor of that shop would ya!

hehe great idea for the cabinet!

You could have at least gotten that no-good kid of yours to slap some shellac on it so it would match the larger cabinet. Make him go out and cut his own hickory switch and lay into him :D. Looks good dad, hope it serves you well.

Great idea, timely too, was just looking at the worksharps again and thinking of ordering one. Was trying to decide if the 3000 was worth the extra $100 or if building the table for the 2000 would suffice.

Great idea, timely too, was just looking at the worksharps again and thinking of ordering one. Was trying to decide if the 3000 was worth the extra $100 or if building the table for the 2000 would suffice.
Slight threadjack; I would not go with the 2000 for woodworking. One of the great advantages of the Worksharp is the tool port. This is what allows you to put an edge back on your tools in seconds. The single angle port of the 2000 means that anything other than a 25* angle has to be done without using the port (freehand or jigged at the top of the plate). I only use 25* for paring and larger chisels. Everyday users are (mostly) done at 25*, 30* or 35*. Obviously other chisels are done differently and these angles are not the only ones you would use but, my bench "users" are the ones that I touch-up-and-go at the Worksharp so the adjustable port is what adds so much value to the tool for me.

Last edited:
Rich,
There was some sawdust on the BS table.

Darren,

YES!!!

If you get the 2000, you just have another sharpening device. How good the edge is depends directly on your skill as a sharpener. With the 3000 you will produce razor sharp, polished edges within an hour on your first day. It is really great to be working, want an edge resharpened, turn around, use the WorkSharp and have a perfect edge within a few seconds. You cannot do that with the 2000. I cannot do it with anything but the 3000.

Glenn puts it delicately. He says that I don't have a sharpening gene.

In case I was too delicate with my reply---The answer is, "Yes. Get the 3000."

Enjoy,
JimB

I sincerely believe that a 5th grader that has never sharpened a chisel or plane blade, could learn to sharpen them in less than an hour with the 3000.

Last edited:
Well, I do like to do things the difficult way, but I can't be outdone by a 5th grader (well there is actually a high percentage that I can:) ), so I'll go with the 3000...Thanks Jim! :wave: