Free AND LONG GONE

The Lucky Winner was Tom Baugues. He timed it well because someone else would have won if he had been later. I went by the time placed on the PM to pick the winner. I just had a horrible thought---Is that time stamp my Pacific time or were these guys (all male) in different time zones and their zone was what I read? I hope I did not cheat anyone.

Hi,

I have a very old MT-1 collet that looks absolutely new, like it just came out of the box. I do not have anything to use it in.

It is free to anyone who can use it.

Pictures and a bit of a mystery attached. Does anyone recognize the background in one of the pics?

Enjoy,

JimBIMG_1200.jpgIMG_1202.jpg

Last edited:
Dan is right.
During WWII radio and transmitting tubes were sent to us in bags like this.

Instead of trashing the bags I saved a bunch of them. I still have about a half-dozen of them. I have used them for all sorts of thing over the years.

That was considered to be a small tube. During that period I think that the 6H6 was the only tube that was smaller. Some of the transmitting tubes were large enough to hold a couple dozen iPhones. And did those babys get hot.

Enjoy,

JimB

oh jeez! :doh: i must be hanging around you too long jim, i finally got that joke of yours. i had best head out to the garage, to replace the marbles i seem to be losing....:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

i once used an old triode tube that i yanked out of an old radio to get the drop on a sperry c/e who serviced our system at a place i used to work at. this was about 1987, and we were using sperry's version of the ibm 370/138 from the late 60's, early 70's. this system was so old, that the tapes used on the tape drives had tabs on them that we hooked onto the preloaded tape on the take up reels. the idler wheels were lined with cork, and the sound insulation was crumbling. i used to tease our c/e that the system was so old, that one day i was just going to reach in, and yank out one of the tubes. well, i took that triode tube, put it in a box packed with newspaper, put his name on it, and left it on his desk. when next we met, he said that he saw the box, opened it, and for a split second he thought that i had actually got it out of the cpu (central processing unit). then he remembered that our system was one generation past tubes. we had a good laugh about it, and he said that he was going to use it when next he had to go in for parts. he was going to walk past the parts desk, tube in hand, shaking his head, and when the parts guy asks why he's shaking his head, he would tell the parts guy that they were so slow in getting him the part (the tube), that he had forgotten where it was supposed to go....

Dan,

I love it. It is a lot nicer than what some of our guys would do. We had these mini-walkie talkies (about 2 1/2 inches square and a foot long). They used a 300 volt battery pack. The guys would remove the insulation surrounding the pack and then toss it to some newbie. It did make for a very exciting catch.

No. I never did it. That is beyond funny.

Enjoy,

JimB

By the way---You never want to get me started on the pranks I pulled---and the pranks pulled on me.