It's not Friday but it's time to ride

Thanks Mack. I'll start another thread later. Almost finished.

The reason I went to Fort Erie was to pick up 6 coffee cans for 'pantry' storage. Amazon US wouldn't ship to Canada so I got them via a fellow k-biker in Marilla, NY.

Well I did not die. This morning we Road about a hundred and fifty miles after breakfast some real nice back roads through some parks and as we're going through Dubois PA we are stopped at a red light and when we took off I had the outside Lane on the left turn and my front wheel kicked out going over railroad track as I went to recover I hit a pothole which threw me into a curb. I went off the bike and fractured my collarbone. I spent pretty much the better part of the afternoon at the hospital getting x-rays and the guys came in there's ten of us altogether and said their goodbyes and see you later I said ride safe. This evening I'm in the hotel relaxing my bike is at Harley dealership here in town and Jared will be here in the morning with the trailer to ferry me and my bike home. I want to side note I have had second thoughts of giving up the bike with two strikes I don't know if I want to do this anymore. But then again it's only been a couple hours I'm glad that it turned out without a whole lot of damage. I'm glad I was wearing my helmet I'm glad I didn't have shorts on because if I did they would have been seen a lot of metal from in my lt knee and the nurses agree I'm glad you wore pants.. Okay time to go to bed night all.

Last edited:
Wow ... railroad track, pothole, curb ... that's quite a triple whammy! :eek: Glad to hear you came out of it "OK". Best wishes on your recovery. :thumb:

Six months after I got my GS500E I hit a cow doing about 45 (long story) and "only" compressed a couple vertebrae when I bounced off the top of my helmet. Got the bike fixed up and have ridden her another 44,000 miles over the past 16 years. If I can get her running again in time, I'll be riding her from Utah to family reunions in Kentucky and Ohio next month. (For the second time.)

Don't get me wrong - I've had multiple close calls, usually due to my own impatience, and have had to "think things over" for a while afterwards. Whether you keep riding or not is entirely up to you, but take your time making the right decision.

Curious - were you able to take any kind of rider safety course? If not, are there any available in your area?

Dave,
Glad you weren't more seriously hurt... I've never had a broken collar bone (only bone ever broken was my big toe), but understand they are painful.....
we have a lot of riders through my little town headed up the Cherohala to ride back down the Dragon's Tail... we lose a rider about once a month on the Dragon because they get over confident, don't pay attention or something. Sounds like events just lined up wrong for you in your accident.

I haven't ridden in over 50 years, mostly because I'm really not interested. I had a very little Honda when I was in the navy and stationed on Guam... after I got sick over there and spent 30 days in the hospital - not related to the bike - I was re-assigned from the comsta to the naval station and sold the bike because no rider buddies at the new station. I was visiting the comsta to see buddies there and borrowed a Yamaha 300 for a ride.... going around a curve I met a house in the road... literally they were moving a house and it took up the entire road... I turned to turn around and hit a gravel patch... the bike went down and I was climbing the upside handlebars... when it stopped spinning, I was perched on the gas tank holding on for dear life... scuffed the bike but no marks on me. I've ridden a couple times after that, but don't really don't have an interest.

My son showed up Monday on his new Indian.... he and his wife both have bikes and she's learning to ride... he took a rider's course in Austin some years back when he first got a bike and his wife in taking one now.
indian.jpg

We had a rider high-side on a ride last year. At 40 mph, in staggered formation, mild left sweep, mid pack, right track, caught some gravel and over he went. I was sweep.

Group riding can be dangerous ... GWS

Good to here you're OK Dave, hope the bike didn't suffer too much damage either. If it makes you feel any better, a co-worker's husband is a riding instructor and even he has laid his bike down a few times, but as he says "it's the training that you learn that really keeps you from getting hurt when it does happen", meaning proper attire and things you can do prior to something going wrong. :wave:

Well Dave my friend I am relieved to hear you all ok.

As one who rode a bike at a younger age and paid dearly for it after two accidents one involving a drunk driver the other a negligent driver, and a year in hospital recovering, i would say , hang up the keys.
Luck just aint on your side on that bike and someone is trying to tell you that. Dont go for third time lucky concept.