a good argument for home defense preparedness

Growing up not very far from the state, federal, and military penitentiaries there were frequent escapes. Typically dad just left the key in the truck, as those folks just wanted a way to get away, but there were always loaded shotguns near the doors. I think a lot of those have gone down since they were typically trustees that were on work detail that walked away, now days they put the gps ankle bracelets on them and such so they don't get very far if they try.

Two nasty sounds to hear in the dark: The slide of a .45 going home, and the slam of a Remington 870 bolt closing. I keep both close at hand.

there have been push in robberies in my area the past couple of years.

the thing is, and I know everyone will say well Id rather have a gun than no gun at all and I agree, but.........

remember a few things.

you are sleeping, you think you hear a sound, odds are the criminal is already in your home. His adrenaline is pumping at a much higher rate than yours who was just woke out of a deep sleep.
The only advantage you have is you know your home better than him, but that's it.

you don't know how you will react until it happens.
the surge in your blood pressure and adrenaline could disorient you.

if youre going to shoot a high powered handgun, you better make sure you don't shoot through walls and harm family members, or the neighbor.
its most likely the guy breaking into your home at 3 am is only a thief, he wants no confrontation, but cornered, he may become deadly.

years ago, when I carried, Id shoot in a range where court guards were trained.

The owner let me shoot as long as I didn't disrupt them.

Id follow along. I don't remember everything they did, but I remember jogging in place for whatever time, then turning around a couple of times, then the range would go dark, lights would flash, sirens would burst, and the range instructor said shoot.
After standing and shooting 9 out of 10 shots into the sweet spot on the bad guy target, it was amazing I would be so far off sometimes it shocked me.
The adrenaline rush and dark made it so difficult to shoot right on command. I didn't stay for most of the training, there was a lot of discussion, not my thing, but I do know that its 10 times harder than people think who shoot rifles or handguns at targets or hunt.
when someone live is lurking and you don't know if your life is in danger, its a completely different ballgame, and even the most accurate marksman can falter.

I think having a good home security system would be a far better deterent to people who break into homes and know its easier to try someone else home when they see yours is alarmed.

Last edited:
there have been push in robberies in my area the past couple of years.

the thing is, and I know everyone will say well Id rather have a gun than no gun at all and I agree, but.........

remember a few things.

you are sleeping, you think you hear a sound, odds are the criminal is already in your home. His adrenaline is pumping at a much higher rate than yours who was just woke out of a deep sleep.
The only advantage you have is you know your home better than him, but that's it.

you don't know how you will react until it happens.
the surge in your blood pressure and adrenaline could disorient you.

if youre going to shoot a high powered handgun, you better make sure you don't shoot through walls and harm family members, or the neighbor.
its most likely the guy breaking into your home at 3 am is only a thief, he wants no confrontation, but cornered, he may become deadly.

years ago, when I carried, Id shoot in a range where court guards were trained.

The owner let me shoot as long as I didn't disrupt them.

Id follow along. I don't remember everything they did, but I remember jogging in place for whatever time, then turning around a couple of times, then the range would go dark, lights would flash, sirens would burst, and the range instructor said shoot.
After standing and shooting 9 out of 10 shots into the sweet spot on the bad guy target, it was amazing I would be so far off sometimes it shocked me.
The adrenaline rush and dark made it so difficult to shoot right on command. I didn't stay for most of the training, there was a lot of discussion, not my thing, but I do know that its 10 times harder than people think who shoot rifles or handguns at targets or hunt.
when someone live is lurking and you don't know if your life is in danger, its a completely different ballgame, and even the most accurate marksman can falter.

I think having a good home security system would be a far better deterent to people who break into homes and know its easier to try someone else home when they see yours is alarmed.

Allen,
I think I agree with your post... I don't own a gun, I don't want to own a gun, I don't shoot, haven't since a teenager, last time I know for certain that I shot was off the fan tail of my ship as I "qualified" with the Colt 45... I'm pretty sure I hit the pacific ocean.

Things in the house are just things... they can be insured and replaced. I've been burglarized 3 times in my life and insurance replaced all the things taken... but I still have all my loved ones and no one got hurt in the burglaries... there are a few of the things taken that had a lot of sentimental value, but again they were just things.

... I think having a good home security system would be a far better deterent to people who break into homes and know its easier to try someone else home when they see yours is alarmed.

Sometimes, the burglar is too stupid to read the signs in in your yard or on your house. Shortly after we moved to Florida in 1998, I had a security system installed at our home. Both of us were away from our home at work most of the day and we frequently went out or on vacations. One day, after we had lived there a couple of years, I got a call from the security company that we had an alarm. I left my office immediately. The sheriff's office had been notified and arrived just before me. When I drove up, they asked if I had a key and I unlocked the front door. There was no sign of any problem. However, the house next door to us had been ransacked, money and a gun stolen, etc. We had no damage of any kind, partly because we had failed to lock the glass doors going to our lanai from our family room. When the burglars got to our house, they pried open the door and set off the alarm. The only thing I saw outdoors was a suspicious brown spot on the ground.

We also have an alarm system on our home in Georgia now. The greatest deterrent in our neighborhood is neighbors who look out for each other. Oh, and the weapons we all keep. I've had little concern about confronting a burglar who might try to break in while we're home. For many years, I've had a pump-action 12ga loaded with 00buck. If the sound of the pump doesn't make them mess their pants, the discharge will make sure they don't bother anyone else.

Allen: remember my background & training....

Bill: The first two up the pipe of my 870 are sixes - a little less damaging to the house than #00. The 3rd and 4th ARE #00, though - just in case...

The .45 has 9 Glaser Safety Slugs in an extended magazine.

Last edited:
I have reservations about discussing firearms ownership and home defense preparedness in a public arena where real names and locations are shown. I know the odds are against it, but bad people might be listening.

I have reservations about discussing firearms ownership and home defense preparedness in a public arena where real names and locations are shown. I know the odds are against it, but bad people might be listening.

I hear ya, Ted. Down in this part of the world, it's unusual for a household NOT to have some kind of firearm. If someone decides to take away our protection, they'll find out how well it works when an entire community is standing in front of them.

Allen, there are millions of possible scenarios, I can't debate all of them. But, when I did use a "high powerd" handgun at home it has pre-fragmented rounds in it that would not penetrate walls but would make a mess of the bad guys.
And, I believe the best defense is a sense of awareness.
And, I am a member of the school of theories that believes letting folks know I am a gun owner is a powerful deterrent. e.g. my wife is currently running for public office. As part of her campaign speeches and literature she doess not hide the fact she has a concealed carry permit and does carry a gun and has won many awards in competition shooting. Bad guys do take note.

Chuck, each to his own. I carry firearms not to protect 'things' so much as my family, friends and myself. A burglar in the house is a threat to life even if his intent is originally just 'things'.

I hope the bad people are listening. Then they will not come to my house. Downside is they will go where the house and it's occupants are not protected.

I hope the bad people are listening. Then they will not come to my house....

Bad guys are also looking for guns. If they know you have more than a few, that makes your house a potential target. Then, when you tell all your on-line buddies you are going out of town for a week or have an established pattern when the house is not occupied and they are not protected by an alarm, decent safe or concealment system...bye bye guns, or at a minimum, damage from some clown breaking in to look for them.
We have had a rash of break ins of occupied homes in our area. Hard to believe, but some pretty bold burglars. No violence so far and probably won't be any. Why? No castle doctrine here in VA, so you can't shoot in defense of property, only in defense of life.... and you have a duty to retreat from the threat, i.e. if you are threatened, and you have the ability to retreat and remove yourself from the threat, then you’ve got a responsibility to do that before you shoot to kill. Even then you are subject to civil action from the burglar or their family. Attempts to implement castle in Virginia have been continually voted down..."our laws are good enough".

ted, i agree with your thoughts of saying i have this or that, to many times friends and neighbors are the ones that do the taking.. but i also believe its wrong to not be able to defend ourselves.. i might be woolly looking but i am not a sheep:) i have been broke into several times and the last one was large.. took a long time to let anyone in the yard without suspicion and a bad attitude..

I was wondering why larry frisked me when I left.

frank, Im not saying owning guns for home defense is bad, Im just saying once the bad guy is in the home, you are at a terrible disadvantage waking out of a sound sleep as he is already at a heightened sense with his adrenaline pumping at full power.

Ive carried concealed for something like close to 30 years, Im glad I always resolved confrontations using my size and brains.
It wouldn't hurt to yell Weve already called the police we heard you breaking in!

there was an incident with a police officer here in NY, in NYC many moons ago, where the description of the shooting stated between her and the bad guy they were less than 15 feet apart and something like a dozen shots were fired none hitting home on either side.
Just goes to show, even people with intensive training are off in the moment of truth.

Last edited:
I read a story a while back on the internet, about a guy up in Northern California

who found a criminal had broken into his garage and killed both of his dogs.

Being a "non-gun type", the guy used a sword and chopped the criminals arms off.

I doubt that one will be breaking into anyones house ever again.

The criminality in todays America is out of hand, and it seems like the Police are

working harder than ever. At least I tend to see a lot of them out onthe road,

compared to say 20 years ago.

That is the other school of thought. I do not publicize online when I am out of town. Bad guys are like predators, they seek out the weak and avoid what can fight back. BTW, I do have a gun safe and it is bolted to the wall.