Pedestal Table - Finished

glenn bradley

I returned from my 4th of July trip and as I set my keys on the side table I realized I never posted completed pictures.

Drapes open (the figure really changes with the light as you walk by . . . kinda creepy):

Ped-Table-Maloof-post-drapes-open.jpg

Drapes closed:

Ped-Table-Maloof-post-drapes-closed.jpg

The Build.

that turned out very nice glenn:D:thumb::thumb::thumb: what did you do on the finish of it? makes you want to touch it threw the screen:D

Thanks guys. Equal parts Cabot's gloss alkyd and modified phenolic resin spar varnish, boiled linseed oil and mineral spirits. Pad it on, wait about 15 minutes and wipe it off thoroughly. Wait about 15 - 20 minutes and do that again 5 or 6 times. Let it cure for a couple weeks and paste wax it. Buff with a linen cloth or some-such aggressively enough to remove any final little nibs or swirls and wipe it down with a soft cloth.

Last edited:
when you say pad it on you mean just dab it or actually smear it all over than wipe it off after the time frame you mentioned. seems like it would get sticky on 15 to 20 mins?

when you say pad it on you mean just dab it or actually smear it all over than wipe it off after the time frame you mentioned. seems like it would get sticky on 15 to 20 mins?

When I say pad, I mean smear with a rag :D. This was a learning curve; the stuff will stay workable for up to 30 minutes if you are the type to get distracted easily (DAMHIKT).

I was very surprised and expected my approximately 30 minute "space-out" to cost me dearly in stripping and starting over; the stuff was still workable but definitely moving towards not being so. 15 - 20 minutes was no problem.

I definitely felt drag while wiping the excess off each time but, it came off and left a film behind that was smooth as silk. I can see myself using this finishing method again whenever I have the time to wait on the curing.

I know someone else mentioned this about long curing finishes and I took it to heart; air flow. Keep a couple fans moving the air around to help speed (that's a relative term with this finish) things along.

What can i say Glenn....its excellent.:thumb: My first thought was if you lived in a rural setting and were able to enter the local fair competition like Dan and others then i think you just cleared the board of every prize, blew the competition out of the barn and probably took both 1st and 2nd place.:thumb:

This table puts the day job under pressure eh!