Any kayak or canoe builders?

Jeff Horton

Been in boats since I was kid. Built one kayak and have been dying to build another boat. I have plans for a CS-20 sailboat in my bookcase. I have been wanting another kayak for a long time and torn on which one to build.

The time has come to build one. I am almost finished with the overheads I am working on. I have to build the entertainment center but the kayak, actually two of them are next. They may be built at the same time as some other projects?

My niece, the one that went dog sledding, also signed up for a week of kayaking in the Alaska but didn't get chosen for that one. We have been talking about building a kayak together for a while now. She is about to turn 17 and I know it won't be but just a year or two before college. Then a job, a husband and kids and all that stuff. So I want to get these boats done this summer and try to take her on a kayak trip this fall. Won't be to Alaska though. ;)

I kind of digressed there. I have decided on a hybrid. A plywood stitch and glue hull because it goes together quick. Then spend some extra time and build strip decks because they just look so darn good! This is the boat I am thinking about.

diva.jpg

I would have to come build a form for the top side since this boat is designed as all ply. I like the painted hull because we use them in some shallow rocky creeks and they get scuffed up. Easy to make paint look good.

I have a good idea on how to do this but would really like to hear from someone that built a hybrid kayak.

Jeff.

That is a great looking kayak. I have never built a kayak before but have built a couple of boats uning plywood and West System Epoxy. Used cloth on the exterior with the epoxy for durability. I painted mine with two part automotive urethane. The combination of cloth, epoxy and urethane made a really tough product. Can't wait to see your finished kayak.

I had some really great boatbuilding books a while back but gave them to the library when I figured that I was through building boats. That's too bad because I would have sent them to you. I remember one that was pretty good on building with plywood. I think that the title was something like "Boatbuilding with Plywood" and the author was something like Witt. I will see if I can find the book and change this post if I find it.

Here it is: http://www.amazon.com/Boatbuilding-Plywood-Glenn-L-Witt/dp/0939070073

Allen

Last edited:
Jeff,

I've built two stitch-n-tape plywood and two cedar strip kayaks (plus a cedar stip canoe) but it never occurred to me to blend the two methods together into one boat design.

Quite honestly it escapes me why anyone would go to the trouble of preparing the forms and properly setting them up along the strongback, and then use the stitch-n-tape method for a portion of the boat.:huh:

I had some really great boatbuilding books a while back but gave them to the library when I figured that I was through building boats. That's too bad because I would have sent them to you.

Appreciate that belated offer Allen. I have one book I am going to order specific to kayaks. Overall I have a pretty good idea of what is in involved. It's some of the details I am don't know the best way to go about.

Quite honestly it escapes me why anyone would go to the trouble of preparing the forms and properly setting them up along the strongback, and then use the stitch-n-tape method for a portion of the boat.:huh:

Thats easy to answer.
She is about to turn 17 and I know it won't be but just a year or two before college. Then a job, a husband and kids and all that stuff.
Speed of construction! I want this done quickly! If I am lucky I have 3 year window to spend some time with her.

We had a guy in the area who gave classes on building classic wood canoes.

Thanks Frank but I am not looking for classes. Just curious if we have any other builders on here. I have built one a several years ago and I still miss that boat. Restored an old Cris Craft Sea Skiff and she is due another major upgrade this winter.

Want to some day

I have been toying with the idea for a few years now. I have this vision of a whole fleet of small fishing boats with one of my kids in each one depopulating the local lake of fish. I ran into a boat builder a few years ago who built hybred kayak/canoes useing basswood instead of cedar strips. He said it was 10% heavier than cedar and twice as strong, plus it was easier to bend. I can get lots of basswood for the price of cutting it down and sawing it up, so I've been thinking about attempting to stock up for this future project. It would be a great winter project for the whole family.

One of the first (fun) projects in my new shop.
The area that I've moved to is known for it's outdoor water/wilderness activities.
Also the folk school that I hope to teach at has several courses on boat, canoe and kayak building
Nice looking ride.:thumb:

Paul, never heard of basswood being used. But that nice thing is since it is glassed you can use anything. I have two 8/4(?) western red cedar boards so that is at least part of my boat. Will use some contrasting wood to add some decoration. I have seen purple heart, all kinds of cedars, popular and more used.

Tyler, I knew you were sailor, didn't know you had an interest in others boats. I guess being on the water is all that matters. ;) I have plans for the Core Sound 20 , a cat ketch day sailer in my book case. I sold my Cal 21 sailboat a few years ago and stuck the money in the mattress so I could build this boat. :D I want to start on it this year but I have been having so much fun building furniture I keep putting it of. I miss being on the water a lot!

Jeff

Paul, never heard of basswood being used. But that nice thing is since it is glassed you can use anything. I have two 8/4(?) western red cedar boards so that is at least part of my boat. Will use some contrasting wood to add some decoration. I have seen purple heart, all kinds of cedars, popular and more used.

Tyler, I knew you were sailor, didn't know you had an interest in others boats. I guess being on the water is all that matters. ;) I have plans for the Core Sound 20 , a cat ketch day sailer in my book case. I sold my Cal 21 sailboat a few years ago and stuck the money in the mattress so I could build this boat. :D I want to start on it this year but I have been having so much fun building furniture I keep putting it of. I miss being on the water a lot!

Jeff

I'll come get that old wore out mattress Jeff.;)
Then I can start the flat bottom boat I've wanted to build to cruise the small streams around here.

Confession time.

Pops and I are wannabe kayak builders.

Real wannnabes, with plans, wood, epoxy, you name it.

The last part we are looking for is something called

ambition.

Well I have that, if we use my method of making 4 at a time and

driving to NYC and sellin them.

But no, he wants to make one and paddle it.

So, I am gonna wait until he starts first.:rofl:

Per

Per,

If you're looking for a fun kayak to paddle but don't have an abundance of time to build one, I recommend that you look into the Chesapeake Light Craft Cape Charles. It's a fun, good sized (17') boat that will accomodate both a medium/large frame very well. It's stitch-n-tape which means there's no fussy strongback and forms to deal with. This is a 40 - 60 hour project depending upon if you choose to purchase the kit or simply buy sheets of okoume plywood like I did.

Thanks Fellas,

This is the plan we have for the ocean kayak,

http://oneoceankayaks.com/Kayaks.htm#sinanch

But it's like this, the pic below is 22 feet from my shop door.

On the side of my house there is 1 canoe, 1 kayak, 1 sailboat,

and every time I get the bug in my butt a Whaler in the driveway.

I will build kayaks all day.....and sell them.

I know heresy! Right? Well my plastic kayak on the side of my house ,

cost me 300 bucks. Indestructible. And Bob hasn't been in it yet.

Then there's build it as a father son project, not me and the old geezer,

My son and I. Nonsense, he can build it himself.

I look at it this way, build 4 of them at the same time,

sell em for 3 grand a piece. Order up a shop bot.

Party pooper, that's me.

Heck, 30- years ago I was making mahogany and maple skateboard blanks

and riding plastic.

Don't cha know the shoemaker and his kids go barefoot?:doh:

Per

Attachments

• snow lk 1.jpg
    snow lk 1.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 10