My First Hollow Form

Alan Trout

I have not been doing much creative turning lately. I have been turning a few pens etc. Just have not had much time. However this last Thursday evening I had a chunk of Mesquite that has been calling to me. I decided to try my first hollow form. Well I should say this is my first successful hollow form because on the first try I was almost done and was turning the tennon off of the piece when I had a little catch and slung it off the chuck onto the floor. It is always amazing I don't have a catch for hours and then at the most inopportune time have a catch. I cut off another chunk and got back to it and had a success on the next try.

I wanted to start this piece between centers but being the center of the wood had checks from the pith I was scared of splitting the piece. I used my little face plate so that is what dictated the size of the hole. Just slightly larger than the screw pattern. The lid was a piece of eucalyptus which was a hole saw blank that was left over from another project but was the right size for the lid. Of course I would preffered not to have a hole through the top but the tennon from the Gaboon Ebony finial filled the hole nicely and does not look to bad.

The finish is Danish Oil with a coat of Carnauba Wax. I wanted a gloss but not a hard gloss. I have never tried this before and I like the results. It was the effect I was looking for. By the way it is about 9" from the bottom of the piece to the top of the finial and about 5" in diameter.

Let me know what ya think.

Thanks,

Alan

Attachments

• First Hollow Form Pic 1.jpg
    First Hollow Form Pic 1.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 44
  • First Hollow Form Pic 2.jpg
    First Hollow Form Pic 2.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 42
  • First Hollow Form Pic 3.jpg
    First Hollow Form Pic 3.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 43
I keep coming back and looking at this one. I think you did a great job on the finial and lid, and the finish is also very nice. :thumb:

Thanks, I really appreciate all the kind comments. There are some things I would to have done different. However the condition of the wood limited what I could do with it. Being that it was checked pretty bad in the center I was worried about it coming apart. I would have done the finial a little slimmer but having a curious 4 year old in the house I did not feel that was a prudent idea either. I will have plenty more chances to do more and experiment more. For me it is all a learning experience. It seems every time I pick up a lathe tool I learn something new.

Again Thanks,

Alan