JessEm Zipslot Mortise Mill

I'll risk reprisals by venturing an opinion I cannot possibly support . . . I think the thing looks ridiculous. The concept of spinning that bit fast enough, with any level of control and do a decent job at a decent level of effort AND having the jig components last very long just doesn't play out in my mind. I assume I am wrong as it made it to market. I use a Mortise Pal and love it.

I don't know, Tony... for $250, you're starting to push the price of an actual shop-grade hollow chisel mortiser: http://www.amazon.com/14-651-Profes...d_bbs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1232749581&sr=8-2

It's a nice idea, and all, but I think you might be happier with the sturdier tool...

Or, you could just spend triple the green and get a domino... ;)

Oh, and don't worry, it's nothing you said... it's just that were all freezing our you know whats off and you're there lounging in paradise! ;)

Thanks,

Bill

I'll risk reprisals by venturing an opinion I cannot possibly support . . . I think the thing looks ridiculous. The concept of spinning that bit fast enough, with any level of control and do a decent job at a decent level of effort AND having the jig components last very long just doesn't play out in my mind. I assume I am wrong as it made it to market. I use a Mortise Pal and love it.

Who makes the "Mortise Pal"? I didn't see it listed on the Jessem Site.

Thanks for helping Norm out Bill. I was asleep at the switch ;-)

That's all right Glenn, (short naps are approved here).:D I guess I was napping too when I asked the question, 'cause I didn't even think about Googling for it.:doh: I guess because the names were so similar, I thought Jessem built them both.:eek::doh: I noticed in the video of the zipslot that he had to push the shuttle handle pretty hard sometimes, I imagine because the bit just isn't turning fast enough to make it cut nearly as good as using a router in a jig like yours. I wouldn't mind having one of those Mortise Pals myself, (guess it will have to go on the end of the wish list though for now).

I seen it at the fall wood show here in my home town. The Jessem rep demoed it. Just trying to capture some of the Domino sales , I guess. I didn't think it was that great, and had an asking price of $300. Drill not included. What I did not like about it , you have to clamp it to the stock, not as handy as a domino in use. I will stick to my mortise & tenon set up I use.