Inexpensive HVLP gun

Peter Lyon

I need to spray water based white pigmented lacquer this weekend on some cabinet doors. The frames are bare poplar and the panels are prepainted (white) beadboard material I purchased from Depot.

I would like to use an HVLP gun for this but unfortunately the one I've owned for a few years met its untimely demise this past summer (it was knocked off the hook it hangs from on to the concrete floor :doh:). Can anyone recommend an inexpensive (yet ultimately effective) unit to replace my broken one?

Ideally it would be one from Harbor Freight (due to cost and convenience) but perhaps that's too much to ask for.

I own a fairly decent sized compressor so I don't have to go the turbine route if that helps any.

Peter, I've seen good things said about this gun on the hotrodders forums:

http://www.harborfreight.com/high-volume-low-pressure-gravity-feed-spray-gun-66222.html

They also sell a lower-quality one, but I don't recall seeing any good comments about it. Similarly, they sell a couple different mini HVLP guns, and the more expensive of the two has gotten good reviews. I bought an eBay version of HF's cheaper mini gun, and it leaked fluid like a sieve. I threw it away and got a good Italian mini gun.

I've had this one from HF for several years. I've used it for everything from airbrushing to spraying small projects. It looks the same as the one Vaughn posted but with a smaller cup.

Thanks very much to everyone who responded to this thread. I'll be purchasing one of these tomorrow.

Does anyone have a recommendation on what pressure to set the regulator at?