Waste not want not

I've done a few of these things using offcuts from various places. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. I like the way it allows you to keep a lot of the figuring that would otherwise get turned out.

Opinions welcome

The first one is approx 9" long at 4" at it's widest, secoind is approx 5" long & 3" wide. I don't square them up, just plane and sand the edges smnooth. Leave the shape whatever it is. Done a few triangle ones as well, have to watch your knuckles with those as the ghost is hard to see.

Pete

Last edited:
Pete, one part of my brain appreciates the simple beauty of the pieces but the other part of the brain thinks that they are kind of unfinished and something more could be done to them.

Pete, one part of my brain appreciates the simple beauty of the pieces but the other part of the brain thinks that they are kind of unfinished and something more could be done to them.

For the one part of your brain, thanks, :thumb:for the other...any suggestions, ideas etc more than welcome. I am always open to any knid of inspiration from any source so feel free.:)

Pete

Of the two, I prefer the second one. I think it's the color variations in the wood that appeals to me on that one. I like the 'bowl in a block' concept, but like any other turning, some will be more appealing than others, and you usually won't know for sure until it's done.

How are you mounting these on your lathe?

Of the two, I prefer the second one. I think it's the color variations in the wood that appeals to me on that one. I like the 'bowl in a block' concept, but like any other turning, some will be more appealing than others, and you usually won't know for sure until it's done.

How are you mounting these on your lathe?

Initially use a screw where the bowl will be and turn as small a tenon as possible on te base. I mount it on the tenon to turn the bowl and plane the base flat afterwards.

Pete

Very good use of chunks that would hit the burn or bury pile for sure! :thumb:

I've yet to try it, but the eccentric chuck that I have has a small faceplate that can be mounted on it, I could do something similar to what you have done, but I could have multiple small bowls in one piece, or one larger one, with multiple smaller ones...... I should get onto that eh :D

You could do a similar thing with a sacrificial block glued to the base and then drill holes in two or three spots for your worm screw :dunno:

Cheers!

2xnightlight.jpg
Something like this? About 6" long 2" wide American Poplar

Pete