Beading Busy again.

Chas Jones

________A little something for local Cancer support fund raising.
________
________
________________Pau Rosa ________________325mm dia._____Colours pop under different lighting angles.

________Unfortunately they will dull down with time and light exposure.

Gorgeous wood, great turning, beautiful finish. What more to say? :thumb:
From the name, I gather that is some kind of rosewood. And, yes, shame it will turn dark. Same with most woods.
I understand high quality marine varnishes will retard the color change but won't stop it forever.

... Is that what they call tulip wood also? ....

Paul, I believe this piece to be: PAU ROSA Swartzia spp. (Africa)
It's normally a little more bland than this, I picked it up as a "Second" in slab form because of the figuring with the hope I could salvage something between the splits etc.

Pau Rosa,(Cara-Cara), Aniba roseaodora, Amazonia and the Guianas Looks much the same but is under threat due to its use for perfumes.

I believe TULIPWOOD is Dalbergia decipularis , often referred to as Pau Rosa I believe, what we see is usually paler with more distinct red/white striping. considerably more expensive here in the UK.

How much you can trust the timber harvesting and subsequent import industry to pass on the correct name and species is a matter of debate I'm afraid, as some of these Red Woods have 40+ species making up the genus.

Last edited:
smDSCN1670.jpg

Well it raised £112 ($165) towards the funds.

Way to go Chas. Not only the wood but your turning sure sets the wood off nice and as for your pictures you sure mastered that art.

You seem to be like a real good wine getting better with time.:D:thumb:;) What more can we say.