Standing on the edge of the Abyss: Lathe with pics!

Ned Bulken

Well,
I got the call tonight right around dinner time, stopped at the ATM and then met up with my buddy's ex gf, and am now the proud owner of one slightly rusted midi (it should clean up nicely), and one tuned up and riser-block equipped HF 14" bandsaw with one heavy shop built base. Unfortunately my cell phone ate the pic of the saw, but here are the midi (with the base of the saw in the background:

midi.jpg

and the set of HF chisels which were part of the deal, as well as a pen mandrel and a face shield... and even some walnut turning stock...

chizzles.jpg

I'll get a better shot of the bandsaw tomorrow, as the storage unit has limited access hours.

Last edited:
Take all the money out of your wallet Ned, and take a picture of it, just so you will know what it looks like :D :rofl:

You are well on your way down the slippery slope, now hurry up and get that shop roof on! :thumb: :wave:

Cheers!

Nice gloat! I wish I had the bed extension for my Jet. The band saw should work nicely for you to, I have the same one.

I've used both lathe and bandsaw over at Mark K's house, he has his own set of them. The only difference in the saw is that my bandsaw has the riser kit and that massive base on it. MDF and lots of it... and it sure is hefty. Even has a DC port built in... I just have to finagle a hose of some sort to reach from the saw to the bottom of the saw.

Take all the money out of your wallet Ned, and take a picture of it, just so you will know what it looks like :D :rofl:

You are well on your way down the slippery slope, now hurry up and get that shop roof on! :thumb: :wave:

Cheers!

Yup, roof, check....

yeah, just a quick mental wish list:

Barracuda chuck
several v-shaped bowl gouges from Doug
a better bench grinder (have one, needs wheels, is not fancy, but was Free)
a lesson with Bill G. (thankfully I already have the videos!)
DNA, bucket,
pen hardware

Last edited:
So Let me get this straight, your buddies ex GF is selling off his stuff? :eek:

he bought her a lathe back in the day, they split up and she kept the lathe, doesn't have room for it at the house, wasn't using it and needed some cash.

the bandsaw, he gave to her when he upgraded to a 17" grizzly, same deal, no room, not using needed cash.

so He bought them set them up to the Nth degree , gave them to her, now she can't use them due to space considerations and was losing her storage unit. My gain.

thanks Drew, and no problem, I had to ask a couple of times myself to make sure everything was kosher. After she left, I made a point to ask him if I owed Him any money... he said nope, that they were her tools at this point and he's happy that I have them instead of some guy from a classified ad.

Nice catch, Ned. You will enjoy. Those HF tools might be OK and work well for you. But, do pull a couple out of handles. Sometimes the HF, and other imports, have v-e-r-r-y short tangs that can pose a safety risk. Do check.

"Take all the money out of your wallet Ned, and take a picture of it, just so you will know what it looks like..."

You mean, of course, what it *looked* like! ;) Once you go down that slope, it seems like you just don't have any large amounts ever again.... ;)

But the real problem isn't the lack of money. Nobody really cares about that. The real problem is lusting after things in one's heart! Really, really wanting that termite tool. Or that hallowing jig. Or, say, mustard. All, all out of reach! How can we keep ourselves from coveting things? Few people know that Shakespeare, too, was a turner, and had the same problem:

When in disgrace with fortune and men's eyes,
I all alone beweep my toolless state,
And trouble deaf Heaven with my bootless cries,
And look upon myself, and curse my fate,
Wishing me like to one more rich in hope,
Featur'd like him, like him with chucks possess'd,
Desiring this man's art, and that man's scope,
With what I actually have contented least!

Alas! The slope, as Blake would say, is littered with boulders of ungratified desire! These are the things that try men's souls! ;)

Thanks,

Bill

well, doing this last fall gave me a taste of the fun it can be...

nedturning.jpg

man, after turning on the robust with the Doug thompson gouge... I hope the delta midi with harbor freight tools measure up. :rofl:

I also got a box of turning stock:

blanks.jpg

3x3x16 or so walnut, and I got about 8 or 9 of them.

Congrats on the new acquisitions, Ned. :thumb: Now you've got even more motivation to get the shop roofed in. I've got the same set of HF turning tools...they should get you started nicely as you save up for a couple of Doug's gouges. Plus, you've got some walnut handy for making handles, too. ;)

Congrats on the new acquisitions, Ned. :thumb: Now you've got even more motivation to get the shop roofed in. I've got the same set of HF turning tools...they should get you started nicely as you save up for a couple of Doug's gouges. Plus, you've got some walnut handy for making handles, too. ;)

oooh I hadn't thought of that, Thanks Vaughn!

Yep, I've got roofitits something bad. Unfortunately today's playlist starts with Joe Diffie's old country tune "If the Devil Danced in Empty Pockets"

I'm back to the metal roof being in the lead, but I'll still have to finance it. *sigh* :doh:

Yeah Ned, a single 3" x 3" x 16" piece will yield one handle and a bucketload of pen blanks, or, if you cut carefully, four handles. And bonus! You've got a band saw to cut them up with. :)

Ned,

Looks like you are set to get into spinny stuff! Great haul!

Looking forward to seeing more...

Good luck on the roof. Have you tried freecycle for sheets of wood, or roofing shingles? Sometimes people over order and just want it gone....

Ned,

Looks like you are set to get into spinny stuff! Great haul!

Looking forward to seeing more...

Good luck on the roof. Have you tried freecycle for sheets of wood, or roofing shingles? Sometimes people over order and just want it gone....

yep, I'm 'IN' three freecycle groups locally, and lately just the typical household items requests and offers.

I was going over the list of 'major' tools that I'm interested in, and other than two items that Grizz has that he's willing to part with, I'm pretty well set tool wise now.

I"ve got my tablesaw, drill press, planer, bandsaw, DC (though at a mere 600 CFM it is strictly a one tool move it around the shop unit, I can start with what I have now) Bench (needs reconfiguring, but it too will be good enough to start out with) and assorted hand/portable tailed/battery operated tools.

Grizz has a jointer which I like and a sanding station which I also like and when budget matches need, will pick up so he can gloat about his tools upgrades.

As for turning, yep, I expect I'll be doing lots of it, but I also know I have a slew of house upgrades on the trestle board, so I won't be able to totally ignore my flatwork tools.

hi ned :wave: isn't possesion 9/10 of the law :huh::rofl::rofl::rofl::D

got it cleaned up pretty good the bed is slick and shiney. tools are next , they will take a while .....on a quick inspection i found 3 or 4 that need to be reshaped to the original intended use :eek: . i will get to rockler this week for a 4 spur head stock center. i think maybe i may be spinning 2 weekends from now :D

Attachments

• chisels 1.jpg
    chisels 1.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 3
  • chisels 2.jpg
    chisels 2.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 6
  • lathe 1.jpg
    lathe 1.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 9
  • lathe 2.jpg
    lathe 2.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 5
  • lathe bed.jpg
    lathe bed.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 5
hi ned :wave: isn't possesion 9/10 of the law :huh::rofl::rofl::rofl::D

got it cleaned up pretty good the bed is slick and shiney. tools are next , they will take a while .....on a quick inspection i found 3 or 4 that need to be reshaped to the original intended use :eek: . i will get to rockler this week for a 4 spur head stock center. i think maybe i may be spinning 2 weekends from now :D

oh yeah,
forgot to say that I loaned it to Grizz, since I know he's wanted one for awhile, and I thought he'd have some fun with it until I can get the roof put on. Besides, gives me an excuse to drive up to his place.