MLCS Woodworking Customer Support

jim crockett

Let me describe my experience with MLCS Woodworking Customer Support:

On Tuesday, I broke an MLCS 1/8" Spiral Upcut bit while cutting a 1/8" wide x 1/8" deep groove in a piece of 1/4" hickory for a box side. I had made the first pass with the bit raised 1/16" and was making the second pass at 1/8" and heard, "clunk". Suddenly I felt no resistance to my feed - sure enough no resistance due to no router bit.

I ordered a replacement bit from MLCS and at the same time left their Customer Service a message asking if there was any other steps I could have taken to help prevent the bit from breaking. This morning I received a response to my message essentially stating that I had done everything right but that perhaps I could feed the stock more easily. The message also stated that they were sending me a courtesy replacement bit!!!

I responded to their message advising that I had ordered a replacement and that if the order had not been processed, perhaps they could just cancel the charge to my credit card for that bit. They immediately responded that the order had already been processed and that they would send the bit anyway - I will have a spare (not a bad thing!).

In today's mail, I received my bits - ordered Tuesday evening - and this is with free shipping.

While MLCS bits may arguably not be of quite the same quality as Amana, CMT, etc., they work fine for me, are considerably cheaper, shipment is free, and as explained above their customer service is above and beyond.

Jim Crockett

I have had similar experiences with MLCS; very good response to questions, concerns or failures. I don't use them much anymore due to problems as you describe but they are very reasonably priced and very responsive to their customers.

Glenn, I don't believe that the problem was with the router bit but rather with the hardness of the wood I was routing and the operator. I think I was trying to feed too fast and/or perhaps should have only increased the bit height in 1/32" increments instead of 1/16". One member of a professional woodworking forum claimed that he only raises his bit 1/64" per pass when routing hickory. That may be overdoing it a bit but hickory sure is hard! I had never used it before and comparing hickory to oak or maple is like steel to aluminum.

Jim

Glenn, I don't believe that the problem was with the router bit

Sorry guys, didn't mean to give the opinion that the bit was bad per se. It's just that most of my MLCS bits have long since lost their edge while others keep on plugging along. I have never had one of their bits break, they just don't last like some that are just a little bit (pun intended) more $$ ;).

Sorry guys, didn't mean to give the opinion that the bit was bad per se. It's just that most of my MLCS bits have long since lost their edge while others keep on plugging along. I have never had one of their bits break, they just don't last like some that are just a little bit (pun intended) more $$ ;).

I have to aqree with Glenn on this one. So happens I pass by MLCS and Penn State Industries (they share a building ) on way home from work and used to stop in and get almost all my bits there. Last 5 years or so though, I've been buying better quality bits, including the Katana line MLCS sells, and yes have noticed that when doing sortof "production line" routing on the table, I can wear out an MLSC bit in month or so, but the quality ones last several times that long before I can see (and feel when I feed) that they are losing their edge. However, I've been using their 1/2 inch solid carbide upcut spiral in the CNC and it seems to wear just as long as the more expensive Onsrud product.