A relaxing hour in the shed.

Chas Jones

______
________How come the Xmas list doesn't get smaller...________Click on images for larger view.
________

I wish I has 1/100th of your skill Chas :thumb:

:eek: No high level of skill Bob, most is down to applying basic engineering techniques that have been part of my life since I was 15.

I posted this a few days ago on a UK forum which sums up my thoughts for those new to turning.

It will come, just keep practicing and one day things will start to flow.
If I have one piece of advice for any new turner based on my own attempts to get an understanding with a bit of spinning wood.
Forget trying to get the perfect form, trying to emulate the very skilled, pick a simple task and form and repeat a few times until you can pick up the tool for the next stage without having to think about them.
Then move on to something else simple but requiring a different approach.
After a while you will look at a piece or design and realise which method or tools you would use to create similar, that's the time to start concentrating on the aesthetics.
Nothing wrong in appreciating the work of the accomplished, but most are producing work and styles that they have developed within their own preferences, ability and tool manipulation. Better to master your own abilities than fail to match theirs.
The above of course is just my opinion but it is one that has given me nearly 5 years most enjoyable shed time.

Hi Chas, Like everyone else has said great work. How did you attach the ceramic plate? Care to show your secrets to how you did this for those of us that are just getting started? I have some ideas of how things are done but pointers are always welcome. What a great idea for myself and a gift for my mom for her tea pot. What type of store do you find ceramic platters like that in? How are you going about the sanding and what grits are you using to get such a beautiful finish? Buffing wheels? Tons of questions i know but the only way that I can learn is to ask. Thanks