you think YOU pay alot for lumber....

looks like it is time to start growin rosewood over here to save on the shipping costs:) we got alot of wet weather down near new olreans and got a few acres of ground that is well suited for tree growin:)

The problem with south Louisiana is that it occasionally gets freezing weather. My guess is that the Rosewood tree can't take freezing weather.

I'm from NO and remember a couple of times we even had snow (not a lot but enough to build a small snowman).

Mike

1 cu. meter = 35.314 cu. ft.
35.314 cu. in. = 61022.592 cu. in.
61022.592 cu. in. = 423.768 bd.ft.

$5000/423.768 = $11.798908
Call it 11.80 / bd.ft.
The quilted maple is more expensive.

Ya, wull, I figured it by the yard instead of the meter, figurin' the ends won't be perfect.

Ya, that's my story & I'm stickin' to it. :) :) :)

When I first bought my Terrco duplicator and thought I was going into the custom gunstock duplicating business, I found a California supplier of fancy woods with some real high dollar stuff. He sold Turkish flame walnut, often as high as $7500.00 for a single rifle or shotgun blank. Dunno if I would have had the boys to take the risk with a job like that. :eek:

I could compare those prices to the ones we get here but the conversion from board foot to cubic meter still eludes me.:(

Besides I do not know there but here depending on the thickness of the board it is cheaper or more expensive depending on the wood type.

When I first bought my Terrco duplicator and thought I was going into the custom gunstock duplicating business, I found a California supplier of fancy woods with some real high dollar stuff. He sold Turkish flame walnut, often as high as $7500.00 for a single rifle or shotgun blank. Dunno if I would have had the boys to take the risk with a job like that. :eek:

I knew a fella who did engraving... and I KNOW I'd never have the boys it takes to start carving away on the STEEL RECEIVER SIDE of a gun nice enough to warrant a $7500 stock...!

:bonkers:

I could compare those prices to the ones we get here but the conversion from board foot to cubic meter still eludes me.:(

Besides I do not know there but here depending on the thickness of the board it is cheaper or more expensive depending on the wood type.

It's not so hard... although it's largely theoretical because no allowance is made for the width of the kerfs.

One meter is 3.28 feet.

One square meter is (3.28 x 3.28, or 10.7584) square feet.

So... a plank 1" thick and 1 meter square contains 10.7584 board feet (a board foot is defined as 12" x 12" x 1").

One meter is 39.36 inches.

So... a cube one meter thick and one meter square contains 10.7584 x 39.36, or 423.45, board feet. Plus or minus; I dropped some of the insignificant decimals so I didn't have to type so much. :)

looks like it is time to start growin rosewood over here to save on the shipping costs:) we got alot of wet weather down near new olreans and got a few acres of ground that is well suited for tree growin:)

Wont grow here..... :(

I also really dont think you have an accurate picture of whats left down here. Anything south-east of New Orleans is virtually too salty to grow trees. Just in my short time alive I have seen areas I used to hunt rabbits in become places I now fish in. No commercially available map I have seen accurately shows land and whats land on most maps is probably tidally influenced and wet at high tide.

My suggestion....Florida where mahogany can grow. We will supply the nation with oil(majority of foreign oil, good portion of domestic), seafood( 2nd to Alaska) and good food(number 1 of course). Some one else provide the wood. IF it could grow here...I got a good place for 20 acres.

I wont get into the politics of why the LA coast needs to be saved and what caused its demise. You should be able to to figure both from one of the sentences above.

/Wetlands restoration/fish habitat is my profession

Last edited:
I know a veneer/log buyer who sold 1 log of birdseye maple for over $100 per board ft. I have seen some of this stuff before and it is way over the top in figure. Most of it is never seen in the U.S. market. It is sold overseas often to German and Japanese buyers. Quilted or curly or pommel figured woods can get right pricey.

I know of one curly walnut tree that was taken down by crane. The buyer didn't want to risk damage to any of the wood so the roots were excavated and the tree was lifted up and then laid over. This was apparently a genetic freak. A friend of mine grafted over 100 trees from branches off of that tree and he said they are all growing curly. His grandkids should get quite rich.