Key sled for router

I have a 1' by 3' piece of plywood with solid wood edging and mitered corners. I want to strengthen the miter joints with keys. My key jig for the table saw is too small. Seems I saw a jig once that uses a router and slot cutting bit to make just the key slots I need. Anybody has any ideas, thanks.

DKT

Interesting. I assumed he meant a key running the other way.

dovetail-miter-key.jpg

The same jig idea could be used. I would be tempted to make a bigger jig for your saw and have it for next time(?).

Miter-Key-Jig-in-use 006.jpg

Interesting. I assumed he meant a key running the other way.

View attachment 58442

The same jig idea could be used. I would be tempted to make a bigger jig for your saw and have it for next time(?).

View attachment 58443

The key will be in the same plane as the plywood. Making a bigger sled for my TS is not an option, my garage is so cluttered with jigs, sometimes I don't know what I have. Thanks for the replies, it's just that the jig I seem to remember was so ingenious and just what I now need.

DKT

Like Glenn, I thought the keys would be across with an angle in them.
I understand now John, thanks for the explanation. I hope I can remember that when I get to that type of project/skill level.

I don't think that having the key the way that I have it adds a lot of strength. What it did for me was allowed me to:

1) add corner inserts with a slight tone contrast as well as a grain orientation contrast
2) not worry about having a perfect mitre joint because I knew that I'd be filling the joint with the key
3) know with certainty that the glue joints at the corner would be better than I am able to achieve with my current skill level.
4) allowed me to use really scrappy wood without worrying about how moisture changes and clamping during the glueup would affect the alignment of the corners. What I used to make that panel was all scrap from the worst of my sawmill scraps

Ooo, I like all those reasons :thumb: I'm logging that idea in the old noggin' for future reference.