designer pen-zebrawood

allen levine

wooohooo, I only lost one blank today, cocobolo, didnt know why I drilled 10mmm instead of 7 mm.
I purchased 18 pen kits, 12 gold, 6 titanium designer styles, figured cant only do slimline, eh.....Im not selling anything, not that Id be able too with my spin work.
But I spun the tenon, got it done. Behlen finish.
I was giving it out to a guest today, but decided since I messed up the thickness and taper of the bottom, Ill keep this one for myself.
I have no shame, Im proud of this pen, its a new world for me.
Cant wait to drill out some acrylic.
(shop is closed, but lathe is always open, my only therapy this cold season although today its like 60 degrees outside)

Attachments

• wood stuff 1487 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 1487 (Medium).jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 47
  • wood stuff 1488 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 1488 (Medium).jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 37
  • wood stuff 1490 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 1490 (Medium).jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
Well Allen, yours looks better than the one I made a couple nights ago with Rockler's version of the same kit. I found a forgotten Rockler kit in the drawer and a pair of pre-drilled and tubed blanks, so I decided to whip out a quick pen. I dug through the bushings and got a set that looked like it'd be the right one, but turns out it wasn't. The instructions were sketchy at best, so I not only messed up the diameter of the pen with the wrong bushings, but I assembled it wrong. It was a pen destined to sit on my desk to remind myself why I don't do many pens. (It's because I too dumb.) :p

I made another one, came out similar,(I did go up to a higher grit, and I think it looked a bit better, ) used white oak I had, and I spun a rosewood slimline, all three were happily accepted as gifts today, and I got wow, you can make this? wow, I have to go hide it before my wife steals it.

And thats good enough for me,at this point, although I have a bit of climb to produce what I will be happy with, my lathe isnt going anywhere,(rome wasnt built in a day, isnt that what someone once said)