Bathroom Cabinet - Medicine Chest Replacement

glenn bradley

LOML remodeled her bathroom. It looks great but, she's been waiting on 'someone' to run a separate switch for the fan and to come up with something to fill the hole where the medicine chest used to be. The hole-filler is to be a little display area for a couple of her decorative items. With my last few larger projects finally done, its her turn. I am to use a finish that will complement the existing vanity and mirror so, contrary to my usual, I will stain this quite dark. Some time spent in the mad-scientist-lab of color mixing (commonly known as my outfeed table with a tarp tossed over it) I came up with a color she likes. The base wood will be some mahogany:

Deb Bath Cab (1).jpg

The cabinet sides will be 1/2" with 3/8" shelf pieces. I find that with thinner stock, a sliding dovetail make a quick and strong joint without having to resort to a pinner. To make things easier on the small DT bit, I run a saw kerf along the line before routing. A backer-block makes for a clean exit.

Deb Bath Cab (2).jpg . Deb Bath Cab (3).jpg . Deb Bath Cab (4).jpg . Deb Bath Cab (5).jpg

The face framing will be as shown in the incomplete SU drawing and echos the mirror frame in style. Feels good to be working on something that I might actually finish over a weekend :). Only the DT joint at the "shelf/support" joint will be visible when complete.

Deb Bath Cab (6).jpg . Deb Bath Cab (7).jpg .Deb Bath Cab (8).jpg

Last edited:
I'd been looking for an excuse to use these shims I got, some how, way back when. I used to just use tape and that still works fine but, I ended up with these so . . . The appropriate shim or shims just drop between the fence and fence-face on the outfeed side to make up the difference in plane. Just like jointing on the router table, it makes up for the little hump shown. I use the thick face boards to allow me to bury the larger bit.

Deb Bath Cab (9).jpg . Deb Bath Cab (10).jpg . Deb Bath Cab (11).jpg

I should get points towards supplies every time I mention a Grr-Ripper :D. Here's a good time to keep your pinkies away from the cutter.I rip off the edges and end up with some molding stock. Time for an early lunch break. :thumb:

Deb Bath Cab (12).jpg . Deb Bath Cab (13).jpg . Deb Bath Cab (14).jpg . Deb Bath Cab (15).jpg

Last edited:
glenn, in your plywood stain sample, see the blotchyness thats what i was referring to in the glue saturation of the ply glue.. it shows up where there puddles were..

glenn, in your plywood stain sample, see the blotchyness thats what i was referring to in the glue saturation of the ply glue.. it shows up where there puddles were..

Yes, a good reason to avoid ply ;). I am planning a lapped board back but, was temped by the ease of the ply. As you noticed, the results are poor so it is back to a lapped back although that will tag an extra shop day (read probably pushed into next weekend) onto this piece. LOML thinks the ply is OK but, I just can't do it :dunno::rolleyes:.

Last edited:
It kills me to cover this mahogany with a dark stain but, the color is complimentary to the already installed units. I think the lap-panel back will be worth the time and effort; I really didn't care for the look of the ply.

Deb Bath Cab (19.jpg . Deb Bath Cab (20).jpg . Deb Bath Cab (21).jpg . Deb Bath Cab (22).jpg

glenn, if you dont mind me asking, what are you guys paying for real mahogany out there on the west coast?
(its going for close to 9 a bf out here now, over 10 if the quantity is only a board or two)

glenn, if you dont mind me asking, what are you guys paying for real mahogany out there on the west coast?
(its going for close to 9 a bf out here now, over 10 if the quantity is only a board or two)

It has jumped to eight dollars and change at my local yard. Up almost $2/bf from the last time I bought it several months ago. This is enough of a difference that I will just pick it up at the yard in San Marcos when I am down visiting dad. At $2 more per bf it doesn't take long to pay for the gas difference between taking my car to dad's or taking the truck and making a haul ;-)

Last edited:
All done and ready for install. It will hold some of LOML "objects-duh-art" but I just set some stuff in there to give you the idea.

Deb Bath Cab Finished 1.jpg . Deb Bath Cab Finished 2.jpg . Deb Bath Cab Finished 3.jpg