The other side of the sawmill

I forgot I had this on my website, but for those of you that are interested, I put together a couple of webpages with pictures and descriptions of the machines that loggers use to get wood out of the woods.

At the same time I have a list of woodworking and logging terminology that I thought people should know. Some stuff you might already know, but some of it might be interesting and informative for you. I tried to use fairly big pictures and describe stuff accurately but briefly. In any case here are some links you might like:

Logging Machinery:

Sawmilling Definitions:

Logging Definitions:

Sawmill Types:

Travis, under sawmill types, you need to add swing mills
http://www.petersonsawmills.com/

Bunting is a new term to me, we always called it skidding

Heres one for your equipment page.
A different take on your atv skidding with a log arch
Thats a Logrite arch behind Wades cub. We got to test it for a few a days. We pulled some pretty good sized cherrys out of the woods with it with little effort

Attachments

• wadecub.JPG
    wadecub.JPG
    77.7 KB · Views: 28
You're building up quite a site there Travis. Thanks for the links.

I've had this website for years. Its not the best name I know. When I decided to get a website started I kept getting "name taken" answers to every name I tried to plug in. So finally I typed in my job title, a railroad machinist at the time and it went. That is what I used, but it is too tough to try and change the name of the website now.

Its getting up there on pages though. Half the time I forget web pages are on there, like these. I just forgot I had them on there. In any case, glad you liked them.

Travis, under sawmill types, you need to add swing mills
http://www.petersonsawmills.com/

Bunting is a new term to me, we always called it skidding

Heres one for your equipment page.
A different take on your atv skidding with a log arch
Thats a Logrite arch behind Wades cub. We got to test it for a few a days. We pulled some pretty good sized cherrys out of the woods with it with little effort

I guess I did not explain myself very good. Skidding is what we would call yarding. Bunting is just running your chainsaw over the logs to cut off any bumps, missed limbs, crotches or the like. Have you ever seen some of these logs on trucks now? They look like porcupines headed to the log yard.

I try to get my logs as smooth and round as possible. I cannot say that it gives you x amount of dollars more on the scale, but I think the scaler appreciates a nice looking log and tends to scale on the upper side of things. Either way its just a matter of pride. I try to have nice clean log yards, nice straight, even piles of wood, and keep everything picked up like burning any ends and limbs that gets brought out to the yard.

I actually saw a swingmill in operation at the Baltimore woodworking show. Very cool... drew a big crowd. The guy was selling cherry and walnut boards he cut on the spot. Show special: $1 a board foot. Of course, I didn't have my truck with me... :(

Thanks,

Bill

Very interesting, thanks for posting.
But, I fear, you left out one of the best log haulers ever.
BTW, ask Jim King how his wood is hauled out of the forest.

Attachments

• donkey.jpg
    donkey.jpg
    2.6 KB · Views: 4
I guess I did not explain myself very good.

OR I didn't read very good ;)
I love it when I get nice smooth round logs :D OF course when I don't I just look in the mirror and cuss the culprit :D So in that case bunting would be what we call limbing.

Bill
I got to see a peterson demoed at Sawlex in Niles Ohio a couple years ago. I t was pretty cool the way they just whittled a log down to nothing