Staining a Carving

Aaron Beaver

I have a carved piece (think onlay) and its acted like end grain for the staining. It can't be sanded much or I would lose details, so how can I stop it from acting like end grain so it will match better to the piece its on, which is face grain sanded smooth. Some sort of sealer applied before the stain?

The wood is red oak (i know, I know) so that isn't helping since it seems to have very open pores after the carving, so what can I use on it that it will match more closely the piece is laying on, doesn't have to be perfect match just want to get it closer.

Thanks for any suggestions

aaron, being as you only get one shot at it:eek: ...i`m kinda hesitant to offer advice.........so take this as a "try it on scrap" soak the piece to be stained with mineral spirits, stain while wet and immediately blow with compressed air.....the spirits will help keep the stain from soaking in as quickly and the air will do a better job of removing pigments from inaccessable areas than wiping.
it`s your carving so be carefull! tod

I would try, on a piece of scrap, applying some dewaxed shellac. Then apply the stain.

I went to the store last night and was looking around and that is what someone there suggested. They said to mix 1 oz of the shellac to 8 oz of denatured alcohol and then apply a light coat and that should help. I have never used shellac before so we shall see how it goes.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I know this is an old thread. If you have done your thing already, please give a report.
However, with a wood carving, many carvers first use acrylic paints to achieve the shade/color they want. The advantage of acrylic is that it can be diluted and added a small bit at a time until the desired effect is reached. Over that the sealing finish can be applied.