Prehistoric!

Pete Simmons

I know that with a laser I cheat and have a difficult time calling it woodworking. I just use a different type of cutter and it cuts wood so it must be woodworking.

Christmas present for Grandkids. Being sent as a puzzle for them to assemble. Minimal directions included but available if needed.

Made from 1/8 inch Baltic Birch plywood. Laser cuts it very nice. Can cut 1/4 inch but get a lot of charring. Note the burn around the edges. Most times I give it some sanding to clean it up but 90+ percent of these pieces are hidden by the next layer so the discolor will stay and add to the prehistoric look.

The design is a sample from Epilog Laser. Used Autodesk for image then 123d-make to slice it up then Corel to laser it.

To all those that think with a laser you just get the image and press the button -- try it sometime. Not as easy as it might look. I would bet CNC is the same. Lot of prep work to make it look easy when cutting.

trex4.jpgtrex1.jpgtrex2.jpgTrex3.jpg

Fantastic!! How long did it take ya to do it??
I want a Laser SO bad for my Guitar stuff Oh AND a CNC and, and, and, and :doh:

Project took most of a morning. Note in the picture of the laser cutting - to cut a 4 x 4 inch sq takes about 30 seconds. Also note the plywood is raised a little above the honeycomb laser bed. This reduces reflections back at the wood which are sometimes powerful enough to make some extra cuts and always powerful enough to mark the underside of the wood.

That's awesome Pete. I have a nephew that is into paleontology, I did a sign for him last year.

attachment.php

I'll have to give that 123d-Make a try. http://www.123dapp.com/make