Don Baer

Staff member
My view from my back yard

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_1650.JPG
    IMG_1650.JPG
    53.7 KB · Views: 86
Ahh, nice evening here. I'm stressed as all get out right now, so the sentiment of stopping to smell the roses, or look at the sunset, is appreciated.

For any Astronomy geeks, the Perseid meteor show is this week. I think Thursday night is the peak? Anywho, time to get your cameras out and ready if you are of a like mind.. Think I'll take a little time tomorrow to get things setup and make sure I eve know how to find perseus in the night sky...

For any Astronomy geeks, the Perseid meteor show is this week. I think Thursday night is the peak? Anywho, time to get your cameras out and ready if you are of a like mind.. Think I'll take a little time tomorrow to get things setup and make sure I eve know how to find perseus in the night sky...

Might be a good opportunity to try out the Google Sky Map on the new android phone. :thumb:

Don
Where are you in AZ. In the 80's I went to Goodyear a lot for 6 months or so. I loved most things about AZ. Spent a few weekends and saw a lot of the state. Drove pretty much completely around the rim. I remember the mining towns out east that seemed the company had owned everything at one time. Saw the Cacti in bloom and was amazed. Came down to Sedonia(?) from the north on a little gravel road a local told me about. Watched the kids slide down a natural waterslide somewhere in the state. And not sure I ever had a nice landing at the airport. Also the roughest thunderstorm I was ever in a plane in on a takeoff from said airport.

All around a super neat place.....

Garry

I've spent tons of time in Phoenix, Tuscon and Las Vegas on business stuff and a few vacations. I really love the West.
I've had several chances to move there but figured I'd miss seeing the New England countryside and get tired of seeing brown mountains.:rofl: Tuscon has to be my most favorite city in the US.

I moved to Tucson in '94 for about a year... wish I could have retired there.. Loved the weather, the town, the state, pepper season (the whole town smelled of roast peppers for about a month...:drool::drool:

Biggest problem, in my line of work there wasn't much water about... I did ocean export shipments.. and the airport was kinda small for big air shipments...:D

Don, I worked in the greater Phoenix area during the winter of 08/9. The way the sun played on the mountains, altering them by shadow and color, was truly magical. I went looking for the Dutchman's gold one day, venturing beyond Tequila Flats, and discovered this fellow crossing the road.
Gila Monster 003.resized.jpg

I managed to get another shot before he climbed out of sight.
Gila Monster 002.resized.jpg

Way cool! A buddy told me that he had never seen one in all the years he'd lived there. Way Way Cool!! I felt special.

To those who may someday find themselves in the Phoenix area I highly recommend the drive through the Superstition Mountains. You probably won't find the Dutchman's gold but you'll be the richer for it.

Victor,
Thats a very cool shot of a Gila Monster. I've never seen one but I keep looking. It is a very magical place and except for a few months of the year you couldn't ask for better weather. Heck I realy don't mind the heat. gives me an excuse to take it easy..