finished HF

well i just put the last coat of finish on this HF.:) It's a piece of Larrys chocolate.Thanks again Larry.:thumb: As some of you no i had a problem with the tenon coming off. well thanks to the guys here i got it fixed and was able to finish hollowing it. It turned out to be 13x61/2. didn't like the large opening i had in it, so i closed it down. All comments welcome as always.BTW will be buffing this in a week or so.
Steve

Attachments

• 003 [800x600].JPG
    003 [800x600].JPG
    104.2 KB · Views: 38
  • 006 [800x600].JPG
    006 [800x600].JPG
    84.6 KB · Views: 35
  • 014 [800x600].JPG
    014 [800x600].JPG
    81.7 KB · Views: 39
Sweet! Glad you were able to save it. :thumb: At 13" in diameter, it's a biggun, and I like the collar idea, too. You did a fine piece of wood justice. It should buff out nicely, too. If you have several coats of a good film finish (lacquer, varnish, or poly) and you want to go for an ultra smooth surface, wet sand it lightly with 600 grit before buffing it. It'll make that Michigan chocolate shine and feel like glass.

That is a beauty. Really nice form and finish.
Thanks Bernie was worried i might loose it when the tenon came off.

A beautiful bowl made from a beautiful piece of wood. Maybe some day I will be able to do that.

Enjoy,

Jim
Thanks Jim.Wasn't sure if it would turn out like i wanted, but i think if i can do it you sure can.:thumb:

Sweet! Glad you were able to save it. :thumb: At 13" in diameter, it's a biggun, and I like the collar idea, too. You did a fine piece of wood justice. It should buff out nicely, too. If you have several coats of a good film finish (lacquer, varnish, or poly) and you want to go for an ultra smooth surface, wet sand it lightly with 600 grit before buffing it. It'll make that Michigan chocolate shine and feel like glass.
Thanks Vaughn. I'll take ya up on how to finish, as i do have 3 coats of sanding sealer and 3 coats of lacquer. That should be enough don't ya think?

Steve, six coats should be about right. Just wet sand by hand with a real light touch and watch the surface closely. As soon as you see and feel the surface variations go away, move to another spot. If you do happen to sand through the finish (it's happened to me plenty of times), just hit it again with a couple or three more quick coats and try again. After sanding, buffing with tripoli (or Don Pencil's PL compound) will remove the 600 grit sanding scratches and it really pulls the shine to the surface. If all the pores are filled with finish, you can follow up with white diamond and wax. If there are still some visible pores, I'd skip the white diamond and go straight to the wax. It's worth all the effort, especially on a special piece of wood. Here's an example of the kind of finish you can get. Check out the reflection of the finial on this Michigan chocolate...

HF056 - Finial and Finish Detail.jpg

I think your piece is gonna rock. :thumb:

Steve, six coats should be about right. Just wet sand by hand with a real light touch and watch the surface closely. As soon as you see and feel the surface variations go away, move to another spot. If you do happen to sand through the finish (it's happened to me plenty of times), just hit it again with a couple or three more quick coats and try again. After sanding, buffing with tripoli (or Don Pencil's PL compound) will remove the 600 grit sanding scratches and it really pulls the shine to the surface. If all the pores are filled with finish, you can follow up with white diamond and wax. If there are still some visible pores, I'd skip the white diamond and go straight to the wax. It's worth all the effort, especially on a special piece of wood. Here's an example of the kind of finish you can get. Check out the reflection of the finial on this Michigan chocolate...

View attachment 47794

I think your piece is gonna rock. :thumb:
Thanks much. :thumb: i stopped at lowes on the way home, and picked up some 600 wet and dry. will give it a go in a week or so.:)

Well done bud,, you just might get another piece some day from that ole buzzard:):D:thumb::thumb:
Well thanks ole buzzard:rofl:. took a lot of time on this piece just couse i wanted to do this chocolate some justice. glad i did to as i think it looks sharp in person to.:D

Stephen,

Very nice form. Good flowing lines and the collar works well. Good Work.

Alan
Thanks Alan. thought about a finial, but i don't think it needs it.