SCMS Station

here a drawing of the one I'm getting ready to make
attachment.php

Attachments

• Miter Saw bench.jpg
    Miter Saw bench.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 214
here is what i have steve, its raised up so i dont have been down to see where i am cutting.. it would work for a slider as well ,,just need more room behind it. and the box does pretty good job of catchun the dust. the dust collection is a length of metal duct work running behind it and have it running down hill to the intake area.
tn_mitre saw 001.jpg

tn_mitre saw 002.jpg

Now we are cooking.

I am thinking a cabinet style, as I could use all the storage I can get. Will be around 11'-3" long. Not sure on the height yet. Will have to be 36" deep to accommodate all the sliding. Not sure if I am going to build in a feature to lay the saw over for bevels.

is this a station?

Probably not what you would call a "station". Just a stand. Familiar green color. But, note: the saw ain't. ;)
Boy, oh, boy, these pics really make my place look dusty and dirty. Must be sumptin' in the camera. :eek:

Attachments

• saw.jpg
    saw.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 57
Now we are cooking.

I am thinking a cabinet style, as I could use all the storage I can get. Will be around 11'-3" long. Not sure on the height yet. Will have to be 36" deep to accommodate all the sliding. Not sure if I am going to build in a feature to lay the saw over for bevels.

Steve,
You can do something along the lines of the one I'm going to make. Mine's only 24" deep cause it not a slider. It's only 60" long caus my shop is space challenged It is 28" tall except where the saw goes. Thats 24 1/2" to accomidate the saw. There will be a round cutout under the saw so I can hook it into my Dust Collector.
I find that a lot of the dust can be coollected from below then just put a wye on the shoot with a hose to hook the top into the DC.

Don, that was going to be my next question. I wonder if I can do the cut out and use a shop vac for both? No way can I get my little dust collector to where the saw will be.

I have a Milwaukee miter stand for my saw. Works pretty good, just gets in the way.

Don't know if the shop vac could handle the volume for both. I'd probubl;y just use it on the top.

One of the resons I am doing the shop reorg. is to be able to run 4 " lines from my HF DC to all of the stationary tools in the shop. Also to gain more work room and be able to keep each machine setup. Right now they are all on wheels and I pull em out to use em.

Will be watching this as this is one of the next builds in the shop as I have the stand like Frank posted, but it is awkward to move and uses up so much floor space without any storage underneath. I have both, SCMS and MS, I would not get rid of the slider, but it sure is tough to place against a wall! Larry used his saw while we were there with Rennie, no dust in the air of on the bench that I saw. Was very impressed with his set up, although it isn't a slider, the ability to catch the dust should be similar.

Here's one I saw Norm build quite a while ago. It looked really slick and I always wanted to try to build one. But when I got my 12" DeWalt DW708 I needed something with wheels. I bought one that looked good online when I ordered it but it really wasn't worth the coin I dropped on it. When I found the RIDGID on sale for $99 at the BORG I jumped on it. It's TWICE the unit for only a little over HALF of what I paid for the first piece of junk. The RIDGID I have is an awesome piece of gear for a mobile work station.

If I needed a station for just in the shop, this is the one I'd build. It looked really slick when he finished it.

http://www.newyankee.com/getproduct.php?9809

John

Last edited:
Don, for my age I am very old school on the drawing. I designed river barges in a past life. Still have all the gear to do it with. I need to learn SU, but just don't have the will. :(

John, that is kind of what got this started. Real nice setup Norm has.

Yeah I really like his setup. I really liked watching the episode where he built it. After posting that link and seeing that the measured drawing is only $10.95, I'm considering ordering a set of the plans. It looks like it would be a fun build. I'd like to give it a try.

I just got to thinking about it. If you're looking for storage, I bet you could get those plans and very easily adapt the unit to set on top of a cabinet. If I'm not mistaken the legs on Norm's unit just slide out for transport. You collapse the extensions to their shortest length and then turn the unit on its back side and slide the legs out. It has a carrying handle on one side. I bet you could just attach the unit to the top of a cabinet and it would function the same way but give you as much storage as you need depending on the size of the cabinet you set it on. Just something to think about. The price of the plans is cheap IMO.

John

Last edited:
Don, for my age I am very old school on the drawing. I designed river barges in a past life. Still have all the gear to do it with. I need to learn SU, but just don't have the will. :(

Steve,
I'm going on to 63 years old and I have learned in all those years to adapt. Sketchup is a great tool and your are cutting your sel;f short ny not learning how to use it. I took th etraditional drafting courses, I learn Auto cadd. I find sketch to be a very good induitive toold that allow me to BuIld a project before i build a project.

John, we are talking about 2 different ones. I one I am thinking about is fixed in place cabinets style. I think the one you are referring to is the Garage workshop portable style. Either way, that is where I hope to end up.

Don, Su is on my to do list. One of those things that I need to learn, but never have.