SketchUp Mini Challenge

Dave Richards

Alright, like the Car Talk Puzzler does sometimes, the SketchUp Challenger has gone on vacation. While it was raining the other day he sent me the following challenge as a teaser.

cc27d439.jpg

Except for a bit of cropping in Google Picasa, this was drawn entirely with in SketchUp. Can you do the same?

I notice that it bulges at the sides, and that the patterns on the top seem to match the patterns on the bottom...

So I wonder. Would you start with a cylinder, then make the patterns in a circle and push them down through the whole cylinder, and then pare away the cylinder to make it curved. So what appears to be painted on patterns are really the top/bottoms of solid shapes that extend vertically through the piece.

Would that work, Dave?

But I have to confess I don't think I could draw it.

Last edited:
Art, If I follow your description, yes, you could do it that way but it would take longer and result in a larger file size. I did it a different way but I won't spill the beans just yet. ;) FWIW, the pattern in this model is not geometry.

I used a new plugin called UV Tools for this.

That's a pretty neat plugin. It just amazes me what we can do with computers these days. When I started programming it was exotic and special to be able to do 640*400 monochrome. I had to build my own 800*600 graphics card as part of my masters! Now I have a 24" iMac that is at least 4,000 times faster than the machines back then, with a 1920* 1200 display that no one could even have imagined back then and it cost far less in real terms than that 6502 powered first machine. And now a free plugin for a 3D sketching system that can do texture mapping onto solid forms. Good grief.

tim
--
tim Rowledge; tim@rowledge.org; http://www.rowledge.org/tim
Useful Latin Phrases:- Gramen artificiosum odi = I hate Astroturf.