Kitchen Island Top

Bill Arnold

Staff member
One of the projects I've been working on the past few weeks is a new countertop for our kitchen island. We had the other countertops replaced with DuPont Zodiaq a couple of months ago, but wanted the island to be a bit more 'splashy'.
smile.gif

I have a good collection of veneers, so LOML and I looked through them and decided to use some mappa burl for the field of the countertop panel. I made the frame of the assembly with red oak to keep the grain appearance of the cabinets. I dyed the oak to make it darker than the cabinets so it would coordinate nicely with the Zodiaq.

The photos below show the before (typical white laminate) and after. I included a couple of close-ups of the veneer for a better feel of its character. Before starting the finish process, this veneer looked a little plain. A coat of BLO/Naptha helped pop the figure. The finish schedule of shellac, Target WB sealer and Target WB conversion varnish gave the depth we wanted.

I started turning pens to fill in the time while waiting for some of the steps (like finish curing) to complete.

Let me know what you think.

smile.gif

Attachments

• CounterTopIsland_01.jpg
    CounterTopIsland_01.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 76
  • CounterTopIsland_11.jpg
    CounterTopIsland_11.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 295
  • CounterTopIsland_x1.jpg
    CounterTopIsland_x1.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 259
  • CounterTopIsland_x2.jpg
    CounterTopIsland_x2.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 236
It's beautiful, Bill. Nice job! But I'm with Ron - it would get ruined in my kitchen!
Thanks, Nancy. I'm pleased that you like it! Suffice it to say that LOML is very pleased with it! :D

Actually, it's tougher than it may look. The finish schedule included three topcoats of Target EM8000 Pre-Cat conversion varnish. This quote from the Target site: "Specifically designed for use on store fixtures, fine furniture, interior architectural features, yacht applications and refinishing processes that require conversion varnish-type protection."

I let each step of the finish process -- sealer and top coats -- cure for several days before going to the next step. The final topcoat cured in my shop for a week before I waxed it and let it sit a couple more days. The result is what should be a very durable finish.

The veneer usually sells for $10-$15 per square foot. Since one normally has to buy a full sheet, it would have cost $500 or more. I rescued this (and other veneers) from a trip to the dumpster when I worked in a commercial shop for a couple of years. It cost me nothing. :)

Other than time, the total investment in the project is probably around $75.

:thumb:

Bill, wonderful top!!! Man that is a beaut!! I think I would hang a sign over it saying it isn't a cutting board:eek:. Your shop must be larger than my little garage, if I was waiting on some finish to dry and started turning pens, all of the dust and shavings would be on the unfinished finish!!! :doh: :( :dunno:

Hey, Bill. It's only a little over 3200 miles from you! Go for it! :wave:
At the moment Bill I am sitting in a hotel in Stillwater, Oklahoma and according to Google Maps I only have another 997 miles to go. Google also says it would only take 16 hours and 20 minutes if I jump in the rental car right now. Add in a few stops at Starbucks and I should be there sometime around 10 AM tomorrow your time.:D

Last edited:
I missed this thread when you posted it, Bill. That countertop is awesome. Great job. :clap:
Thanks, Vaughn. I appreciate your comments.

This was a relatively small project, but turned out pretty good. Now that this is done, I'm getting back to work on the chest of drawers for our master suite. I'm also starting on a new mantle for the family room. Oh, by the way, in my 'spare time', I'm trying to turn some pens and learn how to use my lathe better. Sure is nice being 'retired'!!! :eek: