G0513 (514) Fence Fix

glenn bradley

The fact that the handle on the G0513X fence was in the way, when unlocked, of material extending toward the operator kinda bugged me. Another gentleman, here or elsewhere, made an elegant fix by relocating the handle and adding some linkage. This is a bit beyond my skills so if the handle is bothering anyone else, here's what I did:

Remove the handle:

Handel-off.jpg

Get an appropriate sized bolt and washer:

bolt-instead.jpg

Counter bore a piece of scrap:

counterbore.jpg

Route the back to straddle the handle mounting block so as not to twist:

route-back.jpg

In the unlocked position, material now clears.

unlocked.jpg

Here it is in the locked position:

locked.jpg

I made a place to hang my fence when it is not in use. One of the hollow spaces in the fence fits over a dowel:

Guides-and-rack-025.jpg

If you set your's on a flat surface when it is not on the saw, this fix could be more trouble than help ;-)

Last edited:
Hey that's a much simpler way than I used for mine! Nice one, Glenn! :)

I moved my handle to the left about 3 inches ... it works great, too - but i like how you kept it simple! I wonder who thought putting the handle there was a good idea? :p

I do not any similar experience but looking at your solution and some others pointed by some other members I wonder what on earth are the machine designers or engineers looking at when they desing them?

If they only took the time to make some research and talk to some users they find very good suggestions and improvements that they could apply.:dunno:

I do not any similar experience but looking at your solution and some others pointed by some other members I wonder what on earth are the machine designers or engineers looking at when they desing them?

If they only took the time to make some research and talk to some users they find very good suggestions and improvements that they could apply.:dunno:

Toni, I can only agree, i often thought I must be missing something with many of the issues that come up. I sometimes wonder who does these designs sure seems they are done in a vacuum or very dark place.:rofl::rofl::rofl:

You know, I have a plain "ole G0513 and really like the saw. I have put up with that handle and never thought about fixing the problem. Good idea! I can weld up an offset handle no problem. I wonder if that fancier fence will retro fit on my saw? It looks like a better deal. Are you happy with it? I have thought about building a better fence because the original one that I have is kind of anemic.

Toni, I can only agree, i often thought I must be missing something with many of the issues that come up. I sometimes wonder who does these designs sure seems they are done in a vacuum or very dark place.:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Aaaah, but Guys, you gotta remember that all designers must come from the same mold, ie; "They just Design things, they don't have to use them or work on them either". (just look at where they hide all kinds of things that need attention from time to time under the hood of a Car):rolleyes:

Aaaah, but Guys, you gotta remember that all designers must come from the same mold, ie; "They just Design things, they don't have to use them or work on them either". (just look at where they hide all kinds of things that need attention from time to time under the hood of a Car):rolleyes:

You guys know that there are engineers that are there to fix the design engineers screw-ups. I used to be one of them animals "simultaneous process engineer" was the handle. I had some great moments confronting some of the mistakes with the perpetrators. In truth, a lot of screw-ups are caused by deadlines and too many projects going at the same time. I've heard the "just throw something on paper that works" more than once. Of course it doesn't always "work". I did always recommend to student and new engineers to spend as much time on the floor as they could wrangle getting their hands dirty. The best engineers we hired were farm raised.
My brother is a design engineer for Toyota. He has been under so much stress from over-work that he spent some time in the hospital being checked out for a heart attack. It was only stress!! That doesn't stop me from adding a little stress teasing him on occasion. :D

I have yet to modify my Go513 but it is on the to do list.

The set-up is not a lot different than on the G0555, which I have. But, when locked, the handle is down. Nevertheless, unlocking, in some situations could be a problem. I may use your idea on my G0555. I think a piece of hard maple or OO would be just the tickee.
Yes, the designer/engineers sometimes can leave a user scratching his head. My former lathe, the G1067Z, and several other models, have the speed control handle designed to where it can interfere with working when on high settings. There was not way to modify. Irritating.