Reclaimed wood top

I have a customer in the big houses down town and we delivered her dinning room table yesterday and she showed me around her home. She has 4 or 5 really nice different tables from re-claimed wood. I like the stiles and the look finishing will vary depending on the age and quality of the wood. A lot of this old wood may be beetle rittled. and would need to be treated to firm up the wood.

1st the finisher showed the use of Wood hardner to stablelize the soft wood
2nd he worked epoxy into all the cracks
3rd oil wiping stain
4th looks to be a (conversion varnish), spray it on thick and looks like plastic Rob the finish is super durable for water environments.

to me he did a injustice to the top; taking all the character from the piece, if you notice in the beginning he had a can of famo-wood the stuff SUCKS ! it become very bridal and ugly and I would perfer wood epoxy or shaping a piece of wood to fit the place needed.

********Shouldn't this be in finishing*********

Last edited:
Looks really attractive my only thought is how durable the protective coating is? Any idea what he sprayed on the surface?

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

He doesn't say what he used but if I had to venture a guess I would say lacquer or conversion varnish. We used to use ML Campbels MagnaLac on many of our wood counters. It stands up very well

Rich and Dave, is the epoxy used to completely fill in the various depressions and voids before the clearcoat goes on?

(And I agree Dave, I'll move the thread over to the Finishing area.) ;)

Rich and Dave, is the epoxy used to completely fill in the various depressions and voids before the clearcoat goes on?

(And I agree Dave, I'll move the thread over to the Finishing area.) ;)

Yes the epoxy fills all the voids level. It can also be dyed and used to fill knot hole and other defects in the wood. Once the finish is applied you really can't tell it's there.
The only drawback is it takes so gosh darn long for it to set up. Kills the project for about 18 hours once you apply it.