Correcting a mistake?

Sammy Shuford

The top to my 13x48 cabinet is not flat. One corner is lower than the others. (34”) Measuring at each corner to the floor show 1/8 variance.
Plan of action?
Mark lines to the floor at 34” and draw out horizontal lines on the 4 sides that show the right level.
Belt sand to near the lines, and then flatten with a #8 jointer. (This is a 23” long hand plane)

Am I on the right track?

Is the 1/8th difference noticable to anyone besides yourself ? If it isn't and the piece isn't rocking in place, I'd just leave it.

I'm not sure what style of legs you're using, but if the legs are simple (not bracket or bun feet, etc) you could consider belt sanding the other legs shorter. That's how we level chairs. The most important thing it that it sit properly without rocking - nobody will notice a 1/8th variation.

I hope I have an accurate picture of what you're building.

Sit it on a known flat surface, (table saw top) shim it until it is level and lay a thin piece of material against the sides of the legs or sides and mark all the way around the piece then cut or sand the sides/legs to the marks until it sits right. Or you can also put adjustable feet on the bottom side and it will adjust for anywhere it needs to sit.

100_2013.jpg

Ah, my picture is not the best, but now the real story can be seen.

Measuring from each corner from top to bottom is where the variance is.
No rocking on the floor or my worktable. Issue is the top is not flat. After the top molding in put on, which come up 3/4" above current top, no one will see the top edges.

But it's not FLAT, and I do not know how much give a 55 gal fish tank has.

1/8 is not much, and it will not show, just don't want the tank to crack.

Thanks

Ahhh.... Aquariums. Been there done that.

Is your cabinet racking because the floor is not flat and it is being transferred to the top. I would put the cabinet on a known flat surface, not the shop floor, and then check it.

An aquarium has no give. Is the top flat but just bowed, or do you have warp/twist in it? Do you have a long straight edge to check the top to see if it is flat?

No expert here, but it sounds as if the whole assembly is out of square, rather than an issue with just the top. Don't know what to do about that, but hopefully someone will. Is it for you, or for someone else?

Dan

Glass aquarium? Not much fudge factor there. If it were acrylic you'd have no problem. Do you have room to put a pad under the tank. A piece of rigid foam insulation would help distribute the uneven forces.

Yes, I have a long straight edge, and the top was just a bit bowed. I did recheck each corner, on each side (8 measurements) and all were the same!

I marked the pivot points and then used the jointer on the top. All is flat now!

The #8 is still my favorite tool.
jointer.jpg

100_2013.jpg

ABut it's not FLAT, and I do not know how much give a 55 gal fish tank has.

1/8 is not much, and it will not show, just don't want the tank to crack.

Thanks
If your tank is constructed like most I've seen, it is glass with silicon joining the panels. So, no give. It will either withstand the load or it won't, in which case you may see leaks develop etc and perhaps eventually it will crack, always at the most inopportune moment.
That will be a pretty fair weight. As I recall, @ 10 lbs /gal for water so 500 odd lbs for a tankful plus the hardware and fish etc. I would prefer it to be flat and uniformly support the weight of the tank.

Good to hear it. I had a 70 gallon tank on top of a cabinet I built way back when. It has to be right, or you will have all kinds of problems with it. When you put it in place, try to have it sitting perpendicular to the floor joists is best. Regardless, make sure it is sitting on several. All the water, gravel, and rocks sitting stationary is a lot of weight.