Watertight Storage Box Ideas

The LOML has asked me to think about how I would go about making a watertight storage box for out deck. This box would be used to hold beach towels for use at our pool. I'm thinking I will make this box out of cypress, to match the "pool toy" storage box I'm making. I'm thinking that once I construct the storage box, I seal all of the joints with some kind of marine sealant, but I'm not positive. The biggest question is how I would make a watertight seal for the lid. I'm not sure where to start. Maybe some sort of gasket?

Any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated!

- Keith

Actually I don't think it would be that hard. It's similar to building a hatch on a boat. You build the box with solid walls. You build a solid top and varnish it. Allow for expansion and contraction, but you build a lip on the top so that is overlap the outside of the box. So that water drips off it and doesn't run into the box. Just remember water doesn't run uphill, but it can blow upwards.

go out and get some red cedar tongue and groove.(they probably have cypress in tongue and groove also)
Built a simple box with it, build a cover with it, make the cover larger, put a small lip on the cover,snug fit all around top of box, sand it out nice, put 2-3 coats of Marine Grade(Epinfanes or McClosksy/s) Spar Varnish, now that Ive been introduced to this stuff.
Thats how I would do it, but then again, I just started this stuff.

(its not like youre going to submerge it or anything, its just to keep the rain and pool water out of it)

Last edited: