My Airedale!

Ed Nelson

After the little dogwood flower, I decided I liked carving well enough to try something else. Here is a carving of my Airedale, Spencer! The wood is mahogany and the size is around 5x5. Let me know what you think. If there are any carvers out there, feel free to critique!

Spence_Carving_3_small.JPG

Thanks guys. I have been having fun trying some different things lately. One of these days I'd like to add some of them in a piece of furniture! Still needing to take a shot at marquetry. As for the carving, LOML has already asked me to add the other 2 dogs, English Setter and Spaniel, to a carving. Since this is something I've found I can do to get a woodworking fix during lunch, I may have to start working on that! I have a larger and thicker piece of mahogany that would work nicely to get a little deeper relief.

Too many things to do and not enough time!

Thanks guys. I have been having fun trying some different things lately. One of these days I'd like to add some of them in a piece of furniture! Still needing to take a shot at marquetry. As for the carving, LOML has already asked me to add the other 2 dogs, English Setter and Spaniel, to a carving. Since this is something I've found I can do to get a woodworking fix during lunch, I may have to start working on that! I have a larger and thicker piece of mahogany that would work nicely to get a little deeper relief.

Too many things to do and not enough time!
Hi Ed :wave:,
You might consider this and throw it out, then again it might be applicable.
Since you are doing a puppy dog :D theme consider doing them in exactly the same size blocks as then they can be used as capital blocks or as decorative accents in the piece of furniture. When you get into modified sizes with similar motif you are stepping into the Arts and crafts design area, consider the collage idea.:eek: :D It is much more difficult to use the similar motif in different sizes ia a classical piece of furniture. It is through experience I have discovered this knowwisdom.
SHaz

Hi Ed :wave:,
You might consider this and throw it out, then again it might be applicable.
Since you are doing a puppy dog :D theme consider doing them in exactly the same size blocks as then they can be used as capital blocks or as decorative accents in the piece of furniture. When you get into modified sizes with similar motif you are stepping into the Arts and crafts design area, consider the collage idea.:eek: :D It is much more difficult to use the similar motif in different sizes ia a classical piece of furniture. It is through experience I have discovered this knowwisdom.
SHaz

Thanks for the advise Shaz! I always appreciate your opinion! his piece will likely become a box lid. If I do one of the pups, it'll probably be all of them together. We'll see.

I think this is great, Ed. I really like it. Carving is a skill I admire, but I don't think I could ever pick it up. Good show.

Nancy (72 days)

Nancy, Don't sell yourself short! If any had told me a couple years ago that I'd be doing some of the things I'm doing now, I'd have said they were nuts! Never hurts to try and see what happens!

you`re hooked ed! ain`t nuthin` like the feel of a sharp chisel cutting cross grain in mahogany! spencer looks good!