Entertainment Center build: Done

OK, I am going to start on the build I have been talking about for a couple weeks. Picked up the material and have the plans in hand.

Friend of mine seen the TV Stand, (more of a stand than center to me,) TWW built and really likes it. The goal is red oak with a Arm-A-Seal finish. Pretty much straight from the video series. I might change up the finish schedule a little and do BLO under the wipe on? Haven't made up my mind as if it will help or not.

This won't be at Allen speed, but I hope to finish it in a reasonable amount of time.

Here we go
IMG_3990.jpg

Last edited:
Yea, Allen speed. Today I am going to build a ? Bam, it's done. For the record, Dan, yours ain't much better:thumb: Reasonable amount of time will be a week or little over, I hope. Already have a feeling something will get in the way.

Man, I get blamed for alot of things, but never being too fast.
I dont build fast, I plan well and make sure if I have to make a dado cut, I do all the dado cuts the same time that are the same cuts.
I avoid doing piece work.
I always try to cut every piece the same size at the same time and mill the wood all together so I dont have keep going back and forth from the jointer to planer to TS.
I also always plan to do any finishing work at the end of the work day so it can have all night to dry and doesnt interfere with anything IM working on during the day. And I always build in pieces, smallest parts first so I have room to continue
Not fast, just try to think things out well so I dont waste time changing blades and looking for things I used the day before.
Im very overweight these days, severly arthritic, and fight Myasthenia every day. Trust me, Im not that fast.
And I stopped dwelling on mistakes. If I mess something up, and I cant get advice that will help me fix it up, I move on and redo the error. I dont think things over that much.

so, have you done anything yet? Frame? Cut some boards? Bought some hardware?

Last edited:
Lunch time, so in the spirit of the moment I will do this...........:lurk:

Allen, I agree, that is what I am trying to do. Thinking it down to the last step. Planning it out. This is the biggest thing I have done, size wise, well in years.

Started busting the sheet goods down to rough size.

IMG_3988.jpg

Now have everything rough cut and planed.

IMG_3991.jpg

Did make one design change. I am using solid boards for the base. Plan called for using left over ply. I am afraid when end user moves it on carpet, might make plywood split off. Tomorrow won't be very good. Been told I am going with the better half shopping. Oh well, free lunch and maybe a toy or two. :thumb:

here's an idea for a modification steve, if they're looking to move it around some, cleaning, vacuuming, or just for the fun of it, the addition of some swivel casters in all 4 corners, with about 1/4" clearance between the bottom of the floor, and bottom of the base should do the trick.:D:thumb:

Dan, I have some casters here. I think when I get to that part, I will make provisions for them, but not install. That way if he decides he wants them, we can put them on.

Got the 6 major parts squared up and trimmed. Not much progress, but going to start droping couple hundred acres of hay today. Might try and get the dados laid out later.

Glenn, not much of a ride, but a ride none the less.

Larry, that humidity won't hurt nearly as bad as the 1/2 plus inch of rain that just fell. Not bad for 30% chance. We have a tetter so it won't be too bad. We usually do a couple hundred round bales a year so got to go when we can.

As for the pink ply? No idea why it shows up pink. Must be an import.

Somehow, I squeaked in a little time on this. Got boards squared and trimmed. Dados in.
This is how I trim my ends.
4.jpg

IMG_3999.jpg

One mistake of many to come. Miss located a dado. Patched it back. I started on the top, just for this reason. Ran the grain wrong on purpose, as it won't be seen.

IMG_3996.jpg

Now to square out the dados and cut sides and dividers to fit. Hopefully a dry fit today.

For patching it back in with the grain going the wrong direction it sure blends back in pretty good cause I can't see it.