2 Benches - WIP

Bryan Cowing

For Christmas presents to the grown kids, I am making copies of an upholstered bench I made for myself a few years ago. Good way to use up small pieces and short ends from under my work bench :thumb:.
Probably my best M&T work so far :eek:. By using my Vega copier, it only takes 15 minutes to turn and sand each leg.:D
IMG_4187.jpg

IMG_4186.JPG

IMG_4175.JPG

Oh how depressing. It takes me 15 minutes just to remember where the "on" switch is on the lathe.:D

Very cool Bryan. I can't wait to see the finished pics.

Wes

Lets not forget it takes talent to make the first leg to be able to use the copier. Well done Bryan!:thumb: I have vega envy too!:p

More progress today

Got some more done today, and making mistakes. I find the vinyl material thin as the staples can cut through and the batting is too thick. Then the Bosch Colt router clamp is loose and lets the router slide down from bit vibration, taking too deep a cut when I was rounding over the tops of the legs! :(
Some pics from today.
IMG_4212.JPG

IMG_4213.JPG

IMG_4215.JPG

IMG_4218.JPG

Solved a problem with the way cushion sat on frame

When the router clamp let the bit slip lower and lower as I rounded the tops of the legs over has allowed the cushion to sit lower. The cushion had about a 1/4" gap on the sides of the frame, due to all the material bunched at the corners on the underside of the cushion. I adjusted the tightness of the clamp on the Bosch Colt router and routed the rest of the legs to be the same. Using a hinge mortise bit, I leveled the tops even with the round over. The built up fabric from the corners now has a relief to sit in. This lets the rest of the cushion sit down on the frame.:D
IMG_4221.JPG

IMG_4223.jpg