Some Amazing Turning

That is so simple ...NOT.

I am with you guys. I have no clue how he made those.

I guess he uses Math to figure out the cuts. His engineering background must come in handy.

I am fascinated by the ability to do the Chinese balls. Cannot even visualize it happening on a lathe. Is there a video somewhere showing someone turning one on a lathe? I searched a little last night, didn't put a lot of effort into it, but couldn't find anything. It is a higher level of magic but close to those hollow forms Vaughn and others turn.

Baffled

And to think I was happy to learn how to make a pen.... I can't even wrap my head around how he STARTED doing those projects.

Ok had the meeting yesterday and It is surprisingly really easy ( once you get all set up). Glad we had the demo as I picked up lots of pointers from the fellow in our club ( Rob) that makes them. 5 hrs to make one ball. As it was said many a time it is a task that takes lots of patients. Rob started with a jig to make perfect round balls and then spent awhile doing the layout ( the most important part). He made all his drill bits and cutting bits out of alan keys. There are plugs that are involved and he made a stand for it too. Here are just a few of the pics ( i took 168 in total). The book is called "woodturning wizardry" by David Springett.

Attachments

• Japanese ball 007 - Copy.JPG
    Japanese ball 007 - Copy.JPG
    100.3 KB · Views: 19
  • Japanese ball 159 - Copy.JPG
    Japanese ball 159 - Copy.JPG
    119.8 KB · Views: 20
  • Japanese ball 119 - Copy.JPG
    Japanese ball 119 - Copy.JPG
    98.1 KB · Views: 21
  • Japanese ball 097 - Copy.JPG
    Japanese ball 097 - Copy.JPG
    88 KB · Views: 21
  • Japanese ball 094 - Copy.JPG
    Japanese ball 094 - Copy.JPG
    88.1 KB · Views: 19
  • Japanese ball 087 - Copy.JPG
    Japanese ball 087 - Copy.JPG
    101.5 KB · Views: 20
  • Japanese ball 030 - Copy.JPG
    Japanese ball 030 - Copy.JPG
    85.9 KB · Views: 19
  • Japanese ball 027 - Copy.JPG
    Japanese ball 027 - Copy.JPG
    83.3 KB · Views: 19
  • Japanese ball 019 - Copy.JPG
    Japanese ball 019 - Copy.JPG
    89.8 KB · Views: 19
  • Japanese ball 012 - Copy.JPG
    Japanese ball 012 - Copy.JPG
    122.3 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
I added the book on the wood threads as the collet that Rob used was threaded on to hold the ball in place rather than using screws to do the job. It does look like fun to make one and i might give it a try one day. the book is something that i will add to my collection if I can get a copy.

Attachments

• Japanese ball 160 - Copy.JPG
    Japanese ball 160 - Copy.JPG
    97.2 KB · Views: 10
  • Japanese ball 161 - Copy.JPG
    Japanese ball 161 - Copy.JPG
    116.9 KB · Views: 10
It isn't really as hard as it looks Paul ( said from one who has only watched it being done) but like Rob said it does take lots of patience. I just have to try it after seeing it done as it looks like fun. Rob said he did one out of Holly and it came out almost like bone white. In the old days they would make them out of ivory and everything was carved out by hand in great detail. Rob said that he saw one once that was supported by 3 elephant statues and it was all carved out of ivory.