Spalted Maple Cutoff Sculpture

Jeff Bower

Not sure where to post this...:huh:

Anyway, I've saved several pieces of spalted wood from trimming turning stock. It's just too pretty to through away. This is one idea I came up with to use some of it. It's about 15" tall altogether. The base is a scrap piece of rough sawn oak that I ebonized with a vinegar and steel wool mix. The metal pieces attaching the base to the sculpture piece are old nails, with the heads clipped off, that I bought at an auction over 10yrs ago. (again, I can't throw anything away) The finish is my homebrew danish oil...

So what do you all think? Good use of scrap? Waste of time? Any, "I would have done ____ instead" ideas?

Attachments

• p_00242.jpg
    p_00242.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 71
  • p_00240.jpg
    p_00240.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 64
  • p_00241.jpg
    p_00241.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 61
Thanks for the kind words everyone...I have TONS of cutoffs so I do plan on doing more of these and Larry, I do hope to sell a few too.

I like it Jeff. :thumb: Now all you need is an artsy-smartsy story to go with it...
F. Ancy Artist said:
This piece exemplifies the never-ending struggle between man and the forest, and illustrates the angst felt by millions of tree frogs in this era of debt reduction and hyperbole.

I'm serious. If you tell people it's scrap wood that you thought would make a nice sculpture, they will say "Uh-huh, that's nice". If you have a good story to go with it, most folks will still say "Uh-huh, that's nice", but a few of them will be willing to part with a few Benjamins to own it. ;)

I like it Jeff. :thumb: Now all you need is an artsy-smartsy story to go with it...

I'm serious. If you tell people it's scrap wood that you thought would make a nice sculpture, they will say "Uh-huh, that's nice". If you have a good story to go with it, most folks will still say "Uh-huh, that's nice", but a few of them will be willing to part with a few Benjamins to own it. ;)

I totally agree with you Vaughn...and I only need one of them to cough up the benjamins. :thumb: