First Guitar Pickups

First thing that came to mind...

...This it PART of the ones that didn't :rofl:
View attachment 94136

My peekup! She esploded! Lucy...you have some esplainin' to do!

ricky.jpg

First thing that came to mind...

My peekup! She esploded! Lucy...you have some esplainin' to do!

:rofl::rofl::rofl:
This is only part of the ones that got almost wound just to see that the start wire was broken or there were loose wires in the winding (caught on edge of wood but going so fast I didnt see it for 1000 raps) or I broke the start wire when sanding it, Or forgot to sand it before soldering just to find it didnt work or just plan to weak ( not enough raps) bobbin came apart etc. This list is long as you can see by the pile :rofl::rofl:

I have no idea about those pick-up and/or how to make them. I guess that you coil copper wire around each anode. My question is, once made them I supose that you have to check their resistance, amperage, or whatever is needed to make them all with the same electrical value whatever it be. Isn't it?

The other question is: Will they be cheaper than off the shelf ones?

Now now Toni, it is evident that you have never had the pleasure of winding coils. :rofl: I put this in the category of "art" because its as much an art to do what Jay is doing as it is to carve something. A straight transformer , boring no issue, but do something like this where the device is going to pickup the vibration of a metal string waving in front of it. That's a whole different kettle of fish in my books. Oh its easy to do one but to do them all the same repeatedly and get the same result within a narrow window of performance that's an art and as Jay has shown takes as much effort as learning to carve does. Oh may be a big of black art and mix in a big of black magic too, sometimes there is no explaining why something worked last time and wont this time when you go from batch to batch. I would be very interested to see what Jay is using for the "armature or core" from my experience with these kinds of things (not guitar pickups) the most minute variances in just how those poles in the core are connected to each other will affect the output, to say nothing of wire and how its wound.

The result i would think Jay is going for is control over making a pickup that is unique to his instruments needs and sound he wants it to make. Consistency would be another huge factor. Its not easy to even measure the differences between these kinds of devices, its more than just a coil with an inductance resistance and capacitance. So using a bridge is not enough from what i experienced. Oh yeah the fun of coil winding. Actually the word should be nightmare lol.

What i would have rather done differently were i Jay is to buy the coil winding machine, heck at least then the tensioners etc are sorted out. :thumb: and you only have to get an adapter made for your bobbins.

Last edited:
Pretty much what Rob said Toni :D

Rob I am using alnico 5 magnets right now and some Rare Earth magnets for some experimental single pole Diddly Bows pickups and then will be moving on to flat Pickups with thin rare earth mags on them.
Got a lot of testing to do so far I am close to the same on them but it sure doesn't take much to make them sound different. :doh: even with the same number of winding's. The way you move the wire back and forth on the bobbins and the tension on the wire all seem to make a BIG difference.

I got a lot a learnin ta do fer sure........:rofl: