small vase

A guy i know asked me if i would like some wood.Of course i said yes.:D well this weekend he brought me a truck load of this ugliest stack of wood i've seen in years.(1st pic)Well not sure if i should keep it or not, I decided to plain up a piece of it to see what it really looked like.(2nd pic)As you can see it was spalted maple.:thumb:As there is a little over 200 bf of this stuff most of it will go for flat wood projects,and the small pieces i have to cut around to get to the good stuff will get glued up to make seg turnings.The third pic is of some i glued up just couse i could.:rolleyes:This 3rd pic is what it came out looking like.
Thanks for looking.Steve

Attachments

• 001 [640x480].JPG
    001 [640x480].JPG
    54.7 KB · Views: 58
  • 003 [640x480].JPG
    003 [640x480].JPG
    47 KB · Views: 61
  • 004 [640x480].JPG
    004 [640x480].JPG
    60.9 KB · Views: 73
It appears that ugly was only skin deep. That should make some fine looking projects.
Thanks yea that's kinda what i thought.

Yeah, sometimes it's the ugly wood that ends up looking the best. ;) Your little vase came out looking nice. :thumb:
Yea it deffently was ugly just glad i looked under that ugly:thumb:
Steve

I agree with Vaughn. Somtimes ugly is good. Good looking piece
Thanks i had one guy on a different forum that thought the top was a little heavy. what do you experts think?
Steve

You owe that guy a beverage of his choice! You can make a lot of stuff with 200 BF! I expect we will see some more of your work with the wood soon?
Berry not shore how soon it will be as i'm working on a little cab job for the collage down the road.It's a formica job wich i don't care for but it pays.:thumb:
Steve

well stephen i was gonna offer you a free ride to the south farther but i see you found out that the ugly isnt ugly now shucks i was all set to pilfer you outa some of the ugly stuff:p)

...Thanks i had one guy on a different forum that thought the top was a little heavy. what do you experts think?...
Things like looking "heavy" or "light" are pretty subjective -- one of those "eye of the beholder" things. Personally, I think it would look fine with the top a bit lighter/thinner/smaller, but I also think it looks just as good the way it is.

jist practicin so i can blend in over there in NH's thiots country:rofl:
Yea i was thinking along the same lines.:thumb:
Things like looking "heavy" or "light" are pretty subjective -- one of those "eye of the beholder" things. Personally, I think it would look fine with the top a bit lighter/thinner/smaller, but I also think it looks just as good the way it is.
Vaughn as you can tell i'm not real confident in what i'm doing yet,but i sure do have fun playing on that thing.
Steve

Quality of work or craftsmanship is something that we can all comment on, design, style etc we can only give a personal opinion. Do you think the top is too heavy? If so next time change it, if not do another one. You only need to do what other people like if you are trying to sell it.

Pete

Quality of work or craftsmanship is something that we can all comment on, design, style etc we can only give a personal opinion. Do you think the top is too heavy? If so next time change it, if not do another one. You only need to do what other people like if you are trying to sell it.

Pete

Pete that makes a lot of sense.never thought of that:huh: i found the shape on the aaw sight after looking at what the pros do.As you probably know they do a lot of different stuff so i just find something i like.
Steve

Pete that makes a lot of sense.never thought of that:huh: i found the shape on the aaw sight after looking at what the pros do.As you probably know they do a lot of different stuff so i just find something i like.
Steve
That's an excellent approach. Find what you like, try to emulate it, and adjust as necessary to suit your own tastes. And Pete's spot on with his advice to follow your own likes and dislikes, and carry those thoughts into the next piece. I can see things I'd like to improve "the next time" in nearly every piece I turn.