Quotes

How do you get the quote attribution to include the link arrow?

Do you mean the part above where your name is in bold font? If so, just click the Quote button
quote.gif
at the bottom of the post you want to quote. Let us know if that's the question, and if you need any other help.

Bill, is the quoted part in your message the result when you click the Quote button? I don't think I've seen that happen before. If so, you might try logging off the forum, clearing any FamilyWoodworking.org cookies from your browser, and logging back in. That procedure seems to fix a decent percentage of the problems we see around here.

When you lick the Quote button, you should see something that looks like this:

Quote%20Screen%20Shot.jpg

This is what I was talking about:

quoteattrib.jpg

It has the person's name and a link to the quote. That is what I was calling a quote attribution. Attributing a quote to a specific person.

How do I get that to appear when I am trying to quote someone?

ok, so, here's the code:

{QUOTE=Vaughn McMillan;169136]

I've changed the first bracket so the software doesn't mess with us. Now, every thread has an individual number, but so does each response within that thread. When you click the quote button, the software should automatically do three things: Grab the desired text, grab the name, and grab the number of the response.

It then wraps those things with some simple code. After you post, when the next person comes along, the server interprets the code, sees that number there, and inserts the arrow automagically.

If you're not getting the arrow, we have a problem we have to fix (it would probably mean I broke something yet again!). Unless, of course, you're editing the text inside the quote brackets, and accidentally messing with the text string that starts the message.

Hope this helps,

Thanks,

Bill

Please tell me how I should be quoting someone. What are the steps if not highlight, click copy, and paste inside the {QUOTE]

Whoops, sorry, I misunderstood.

when you're reading this post, cast your eye to the bottom right of the message. You'll see a button that says Quote. Click that button.

You should get a reply box, containing the quoted text. Start typing below the quoted text.

If you try to highlight, copy, and paste, the server won't know what you want. It'll just see some text there, and treat it as regular text.

Thanks,

Bill

Last edited:
Whoops, sorry, I misunderstood.

when you're reading this post, cast your eye to the bottom right of the message. You'll see a button that says Quote. Click that button.

You should get a reply box, containing the quoted text. Start typing below the quoted text.

If you try to highlight, copy, and paste, the server won't know what you want. It'll just see some text there, and treat it as regular text.

Thanks,

Bill

Bill, thanks, Bill