Slimline/Acrylic

Bill Arnold

Staff member
Slimline 24k Gold with my own acrylic blank.

SL_24k_MyBluWhtAcrylic_1.jpg

In my initial experimentation with casting acrylic a while back, I did some pen blanks using pvc pipe as molds. These are from 1/2" Sch40 pipe, which yields 19/32" diameter blanks. I used PearlEx pigments, Carbon Black and Pearl White, in Silmar41 resin.

zCast201406a.jpg

That is a great looking slimline pen. I got setup to do casting, cast a couple things and then my enthusiasm for pen making petered out. Maybe some day I will get back to casting though. It is messy but fun.

Great looking blanks Bill.
Nicely done.

Les

Thank you, Les! I appreciate your comments!

That is a great looking slimline pen. I got setup to do casting, cast a couple things and then my enthusiasm for pen making petered out. Maybe some day I will get back to casting though. It is messy but fun.

Paul, I have built so much furniture over the past 15 years that I was getting burned out on it. The only thing that kept me going was the furniture was mostly for our home. As I was finishing the final large piece of furniture, I got the bug to turn a few pens, then try casting, etc. I've made a few messes but learned from each one. The first time I tried, one color of resin kicked quicker than the other but I was able to save it by dumping it into a larger mold I had made ready for a bottle stopper. The process of learning to stabilize "worthless" wood, cast acrylic, etc., is part of my "continuing education" to prove this old dog can still learn a little something.

Good looking casting...looks like you have the hang of it!

Well, I'm trying but still making a mess now and then. But, I a feller ain't making mistakes, he just ain't tryin'. :thumb:

I did some casting of worthless wood. Didn't have the means to stabilize it so I cast it in a pressure pot and made a little turned box. It was fun. Turned out pretty wild. ...

That's a really great looking box, Paul!!!

I've stabilized some dogwood I let get spalted and partly rotted. I used Cactus Juice and a vacuum jug. After it was cured, I set a few pieces in a flat dish and poured in some Silmar resin with black dye. I've turned a couple of pieces but there were a few voids, so I'm re-casting one of the turnings with blue resin to see how it turns out. Mainly playing around with the stuff for now.