Screws and Nails

Jointery is by far the best solution, however, there are times when fasteners are preferred. Never nails, you are usually working with hardwoods and dry at that so nails will create splits, as well as down right ugly. some brads for attaching back panels, etc. But the tried and true is Wood Screws NOT DRYWALL Screws (they are for Drywall) Not sheet metal screws but Wood Screws. Wood screws have a solid shank and a tapered thread. They require proper pilot holes, one piece gets the shank diameter and the other the thread root diameter. This type of screw will pull both pieces together snug where full thread screws will only hold the pieces together if you have them tight when applied.

Any experts on screws out there?

What are the general guidelines for which screws should be used for
1) plywood to plywood
2) plywood to wood
3) wood to wood

And what are the general guidelines for when do you use screws and when do you use nails?

Thanks,:wave:

Wow, that is a pretty broad question. It all depends...on the joint, on the wood, on the historical precedent of the furniture piece you are making, etc. You are going to get a variety of answers that may not be accurate to your needs.

.... Never nails, you are usually working with hardwoods and dry at that so nails will create splits, as well as down right ugly. some brads for attaching back panels, etc. .

I guess a broad question probably deserves a broad answer, but nails have been used in furniture for ages and I am talking pre-Norm. Bill, I think I understand where you are coming from and would agree in general, but can't agree with the "Never nails".

It depends on what you are doing and waht you are building. Framing I use nails and only nails, Decking I use screws and nails depending on the material and the situation. Sub floors only screws, finishing is mostly brad nails,finishing nails and glues. Jointery I have used some screws of nails to hold a piece till the glue sets up but ususally use clamps. Anything in particular that you are looking to hold together?

It depends on what you are doing and waht you are building. Framing I use nails and only nails, Decking I use screws and nails depending on the material and the situation. Sub floors only screws, finishing is mostly brad nails,finishing nails and glues. Jointery I have used some screws of nails to hold a piece till the glue sets up but ususally use clamps. Anything in particular that you are looking to hold together?

i agree with drew on this one, but you cannot rule out sheetrock screws either, depending on the application. all of my mobile tool benches, some holding a few hundred pounds of power tools, are all put together with sheet rock screws, and none of them, after a couple years of hard use, have even though about coming loose, let alone actually coming loose.:thumb:

Others have spoken as to when to use screws. If you want to have a big "ah-ha" moment, get a selection of screws from McFeely's or other quality screw provider. After finding out how screws are supposed to work, I literally tossed my random collection of screws from the BORG and who-knows-where-else.

I do use cut nails as a decorative element sometimes. I also use nails in 2x4's and double-headed nails as cleat-fixture "keepers" . . . I'll have to add a pic once I get home in order for that to make sense I think :eek:.

Ok, here's the clipped double headed nail.

Cleat Fixture Keepers 002.jpg

It inserts to remove any chance of the french cleat mounted fixtures from getting bumped (or earthquaked) off the cleat but still allow easy relocation as required.

Cleat Fixture Keepers 001.jpg

Last edited:
i agree with drew on this one, but you cannot rule out sheetrock screws either, depending on the application. all of my mobile tool benches, some holding a few hundred pounds of power tools, are all put together with sheet rock screws, and none of them, after a couple years of hard use, have even though about coming loose, let alone actually coming loose.:thumb:

Dan I use to use sheet rock screws for lots of things now I use more powder coated deck screws for the same application as the old sheet rock screws rust faster in the moist environment that we have here on the west coast. Also the powder coated deck screws have greater shear strength than do the sheet rock screws. The powder coated are more expensive but as I am not using them to board a house with so for the cost they are a better choice in my opinion. Also with the robertson heads tends to grab better than does the phillips head. There are also diversion staples for sub floors and certain companies will not warranty their flooring products unless you use the staples. I personally prefer the screws over the staples for holding power but staples are faster to install a sub floor.

Last edited:
We talking furniture or just fastening things together? Assemble furniture with . When I say Never Nails, I am referring to furniture, which is what we were talking about. (wern't we?) Sure I use a bunch of drywall screws to hold simple projects or quick builds. Decks need deck screws, etc. Nails are for framing and hanging componants. Staples are great for mass building, They hold plywood back panels like no other, but not on hardwood furure as I would hope that one would attempt to try to hold true to the design.

Tell you what, for 'fine woodworking', I don't think nails have much of a place.

But for the garage shelves I built last weekend, my framing nailer and finish nailer helped me to git'r'dun in pretty short order...

:rofl::rofl::rofl:
Who knew this would be such a heated and lively discussion! It was an innocent question. Yeah, okay, with fine furniture you don't use any. But aren't there OTHER occasions when a woodworker would use a nail or a screw?

The example I was thinking of was the cabinet that you made that you are attaching to the wall to a stud. I assume you use a screw through the back of the cabinet, the backer board and into the wall stud. So what kind of screw do you use?

If I build a floor base for a string of bookcases, I'm planning on using 2 X 4 's or 1 X 4 's. I'm planning to nail those together with a nailer. Wouldn't you? So what size nails do you need?

Aren't these still examples of woodworking? Or is it taboo to mention these "lesser" not-glamorous woodworking jobs?

THANKS
:)

:rofl::rofl::rofl:
Who knew this would be such a heated and lively discussion! It was an innocent question. Yeah, okay, with fine furniture you don't use any.
Don't let these guys fool ya there's more fine furniture out there with nails, screws and staples than one can shake a stick at.
But aren't there OTHER occasions when a woodworker would use a nail or a screw?

The example I was thinking of was the cabinet that you made that you are attaching to the wall to a stud. I assume you use a screw through the back of the cabinet, the backer board and into the wall stud. So what kind of screw do you use?
I only use GRK cabinet screws :thumb:http://www.grkfasteners.com/en/CAB_1_information.htm

If I build a floor base for a string of bookcases, I'm planning on using 2 X 4 's or 1 X 4 's. I'm planning to nail those together with a nailer. Wouldn't you? So what size nails do you need?
Most likely 12D That's what would be in the gun all ready
Aren't these still examples of woodworking? YES Or is it taboo to mention these "lesser" not-glamorous woodworking jobs? NO

THANKS
:)

answers in green

answers in green

cynthia chuck has pretty much summed it up. if you have time in the futre go look at some fine antigues and you will see area where they used nails and screws in there build of it.. but they also used alot of good joinery as well.. sam maloof whom is considered a master in woodworking, used screws in alot of his stuff...i saw them with my own eyes.

I think there is a difference between woodworking and carpentry. Most carpenters that I know are pretty good woodworkers but the woodworkers I know would make lousy carpenters.
I use screws for just about everything. The only nails I use are usually used to attach trim, molding, or the backs of drawers or cabinets. The last time I used my framing nailer was 5 years ago when I built my shed. I use my brad and pin nailer fairly often and occasionally my finish nailer.